Chapter 7 (i) - Molly

--- MOLLY ---

Molly couldn't believe they'd made it this far. After weeks of fraught recording sessions with Tony Ward, tortuous rehearsals with Derren McKenzie and disheartening meetings with Sherri Holt - the big day had finally arrived. The girls were backstage at an exclusive club in the West End for The Showcase.

Molly wasn't looking forward to it. None of the girls were. But they'd made a pact to do their best and hope that the record execs in the audience would spot their potential and give them a chance. The main problem was that the showcase lacked a cohesive vision. Under duress they were performing three songs written by Tony, two of their own songs (although Tony had still produced them) one cover version (Ellie Goulding's Burn) and then a secret track that no one but the girls and Lena knew about - Melody Vibe, a rousing pop R&B anthem!

Molly loved it! It played to their strengths and was a rallying-call for female empowerment through music. They'd written it after a particularly depressing meeting with Sherri when she'd insisted that they go with the band name - The Starbirds. Ugh. The girls had protested but it was no good - Sherri said she'd already sent out the industry invites with that name. The girls just hoped they'd be able to change it - if they got signed.

Molly's phone beeped with a text.

Good luck 2nite sweetheart!

We're all rooting for you.

Love Mum xxx

Molly doubted that they were all rooting for her. She still hadn't heard from Georgia and she was too nervous to text her in case it looked like she was gloating about her glamorous life. Not that there was much to gloat about. In fact Georgia would probably have been glad to hear that it was all going so badly.

"Can I have a word Molly?"

Molly looked up and saw Derren stood in the doorway. She quickly looked around for Amy, but there was only herself and Rhian in the dressing room. It hadn't taken Molly long to work out that Amy and Derren must have had some sort of relationship prior to the band, and she could tell Amy had unresolved feelings for him.

"Sure," said Molly, as put her phone down on the dressing table.

"Rhian," said Derren. "Would you mind giving me and Molly five minutes on our own?"

"Sure," said Rhian. "I need to go to the loo anyway."

Once Rhian had gone, Derren closed the door. Molly felt nervous about why he wanted to talk to her on her own.

He pulled up a chair, sidled in close to her, then asked, "Do you have anything you want to tell me?"

"Excuse me?"

"Any little secrets that are burning a hole in your heart?"

Derren had a wicked glint in his eye. Did he know that she knew about him and Amy? Molly hadn't said anything to anyone.

"No. Why?" asked Molly defiantly.

"Okay," said Derren solicitously. "So, you've nothing to tell me about an extra little song or anything like that?"

Suddenly all thoughts of Derren and Amy went out of her head. How had he found out about the extra track?

"A techie just asked me how I wanted the lights for the final song - Melody Vibe?"

Lena had asked for the lighting state to be kept simple for the last track and told the technicians not to breathe a word about it to anyone, but clearly one of them hadn't been listening!