3 (iv) - Jadine

--- JADINE ---

Jadine just wanted to go to bed – the stress of the audition and spending the day looking after her nephews had left her completely whacked. She was confident that in the end, her audition had gone well.  She’d assured Sherri that she’d be 100% committed (and baby-free) if she made it into the group.  And they’d chatted about her musical influences, her style, her ambitions as an artist, and even about being an auntie! 

Jadine felt sure that if she got in the group, she could hold on to her individuality.  Sherri was adamant that she wanted five diverse girls, and not - as Jadine had secretly feared - some generic five-piece, more famous for their short skirts and hair extensions than their music.

But now Jadine was dead on her feet.  The last thing she wanted was go clubbing, but she’d promised Lyric so…here she was at Kino’s in Dalston waiting for DJ Vyper to start his set.  Vyper had promised to play Lyric’s new track Mean Paradise, which Jadine sang the chorus on.  Lyric was desperate to see how it would go down. 

Even though it was still early, the place was jammed.  Kino’s always drew a full crowd on a Friday – everyone desperate to kick off their weekend with some rough and ready hip hop vibes.  Jadine was usually up for it, but tonight she was already starting to fade.  She cracked open a Red Bull and hoped it would kick in quick.

As she took a swig, she saw Lyric come in.  He spotted her immediately and tried to head over, but he was a familiar face at Kino’s and kept getting stopped by the regulars before he could get to her.  She could have headed over to him, but it wasn’t her style.  She knew he’d get to her eventually.

“Yo, Jay!  How come you didn’t swing by mine today?” he said, when he finally made it over.  He was smiling, but she could tell he was slightly put-out.  She’d promised to head over to work on some other tracks he was writing, but after the stress of getting to the audition, she couldn’t face it. 

“I had to look after Bobby and Theo,” she said.  “Alesha was wrecked again.”

“Yeah, I heard her fella had a big night over at his.  Celebrating some deal he’s made.”

“Great,” said Jadine, wryly.  That meant more drugs.  And more chance Alesha would get wasted. 

“I thought maybe you were holding on to a grudge from the other night?”  Lyric was referring to when they’d last worked together on his new tracks.  He’d repeatedly brushed aside the new lyrics she suggested - lines that she felt were more balanced and witty, than the angry rhymes Lyric was pushing out.  And she’d been furious when he’d rewritten the lyrics she’d penned for her Mean Paradise chorus – but as he’d pointed out, it was his track, she was just the singer.  She’d wanted to punch him in the face when he’d said that, but somehow she’d restrained herself.

“No grudge,” smiled Jadine sweetly, who was thinking about how well her fun-filled lyrics had gone down in the audition today.  “Like you said, it’s your music.  I’m just along for the ride.”

“Well, maybe you could come over tonight?” mused Lyric, suggestively. 

Jadine rolled her eyes and smiled.  Damn, he could pull the moves out when he wanted.  Lyric wasn’t drop-dead gorgeous, although Jadine never went for pretty-boys anyway, but he had a certain charm and he knew how to use it.  Even though they’d always been just friends, every so often, Lyric would cheekily try it on, just to see if she’d weaken.

“I don’t think so,” smiled Jadine.  “I need my beauty sleep.”

“You?  No way.  You’re already a knock-out.”