3 (iii) - Molly

--- MOLLY ---

Molly anxiously stared at the empty seat beside her.  Where the hell was Georgia?  The train was due to leave in five minutes.  They’d deliberately booked a late one so they could maximise their time in London after the audition – check out the shops, have a nice meal, maybe get some cheap tickets to see a West End matinee.  But they hadn’t done any of that.  Instead Molly had aimlessly wandered the streets, calling Georgia’s mobile every five minutes, which she’d steadfastly refused to answer. 

Finally Georgia had sent a text.

Stop calling me.  See you on the train at 7.45.

No kiss.  No smiley face.  Nothing to show that Georgia didn’t hate her. 

At least Molly knew she was okay, but she still felt dreadful.  She knew she should have handled the whole audition differently, but as she’d wandered the streets, she couldn’t help ending up at the same thought - Sherri Holt liked her!  How amazing was that?!

When she’d been a little girl, Molly had loved Sherri Holt, both when she’d been in the girlband Reviva and then as a solo artist.  She’d danced to Sherri’s records.  She’d sung Sherri’s songs.  She’d even pretended to be Sherri.  And now here was one of her idols, telling her that she had talent; that she might even be good enough to be in a professional band.  Even though she knew she shouldn’t, Molly couldn’t help feeling that maybe the heartbreak and hope that went with a career in showbusiness might be worth it, if you had someone like Sherri Holt thought you had talent. 

Before she knew it, Molly was daydreaming about performing in Sherri’s new girlband – on Radio 1, on MTV, at the iTunes Festival, at Wembley Arena, at Madison Square Garden!  Little girls up and down the country would copy her songs and dance moves.  Then she could set up her own Dance Academy, purely for youngsters who couldn’t afford regular fees and they’d have a chance to follow their dreams.

Stop!  Her imagination was running seriously out of control.  There was no way any of those things would be remotely possible because she was a loyal and loving sister – there was no way she would screw over Georgia. 

But…if Georgia really loved her…then maybe she’d understand…

Maybe she’d know that Molly had been kidding herself when she’d said that she didn’t want to be a performer.  Maybe Georgia would understand that deep-down, Molly really wanted to get up on stage and entertain people.  Maybe she’d know that Molly’s excuses about avoiding heartache and disappointment were only because didn’t think she was good enough.  But if Sherri Holt thought she was then… 

“Did you do it?”

Molly jumped and looked up to see Georgia standing next to her seat on the train.  Instantly she leapt up and gave her a huge hug.  “Georgie!  Thank God!”  She was pleased to feel her sister hug her back, even if it wasn’t with her usual warmth.

          “Did you do it?” repeated Georgia.

“No, I didn’t audition on my own,” said Molly, pulling away.  “Look, I’m sorry I messed it up for you.  I wasn’t trying to steal your thunder.  I was trying to help you stand out.”

“You did that alright,” said Georgia, ruefully.

“I meant in a good way,” sighed Molly.

“I know.  I just wish you…”  Georgia chipped away at the polish on her nails – a thing she always did when she was upset.

“What?” asked Molly.

“I just wish you hadn’t come in with me,” blurted out Georgia.

“I didn’t want to!” exclaimed Molly.  “You insisted!  I didn’t want to do any of it.  I only came to support you.”

“I know,” said Georgia, with a touch of regret.  “And I should have listened to you.  I mean, how the hell can I compete when you’re in the room?”

“Hey,” said Molly.  “You’re really talented!”

“But you’re so good, even when you’re trying to be bad, you’re still amazing.”

“That’s not true,” said Molly.

“Anyway, it doesn’t matter,” said Georgia.  “I’m over it and a stupid audition shouldn’t get in the way of you and me.”

“Absolutely,” smiled Molly, relieved that Georgia seemed pretty pragmatic about the whole thing. 

“And I’m sorry I ran off like that.  I just needed some time to get my head around the whole thing.  But I’m fine about now.”

Molly raised her eyebrows.  “Are you sure?” 

“Honestly,” sighed Georgia.

Molly smiled.  Maybe Georgia wouldn’t mind if she contacted Sherri Holt again after all. 

Georgia settled down into her seat.  “But I am glad you didn’t audition on your own.  That would have been too much to handle.  I mean, you didn’t really want to, did you?” said Georgia, more as a fact than a question.

Here was her chance.  Molly looked at her sister intently and could see that no matter what Georgia said, she’d been hurt.  What was more important - her twin sister’s happiness or fulfilling her long-lost dream?

“Of course I didn’t want to,” said Molly brightly. 

Now it was Georgia’s turn to look at her intently.

“Promise,” said Molly, wishing she didn’t feel so awkward.

Seemingly satisfied, Georgia put out her fist - the childhood gesture they always did after an argument.  “Twinnies?” she asked.

“Twinnies!” agreed Molly, bumping her fist against Georgia’s.  She leaned back into her seat and watched the bright lights of the Capital slowly start to recede as the train began the journey back North.

“Hey,” smiled Georgia, as the train picked up speed.  “Derren McKenzie so had the hots for you!”

“As if!  He so did not!” she mimicked.

“He did!” laughed Georgia.  “Just promise you won’t go on any hot dates with him.”

“I promise,” laughed Molly.  Now that was something she had absolutely no problems promising.