The Reason I Left

Aria:

Wes and I decided to have a pancake contest since he was convinced mine were better than his, I disagreed. We agreed to meet at my house this morning. It was 9:30 and I just woke up. While rolling out of bed I had a bad feeling in my gut. Something wasn't right about this morning. Wes was supposed to be here at 11 which gave me enough time to shower and get dressed. After cleaning up the best I could I took a shower with 30 minutes to spare. So I sat on my couch turned on my tv and played GTA. The doorbell rang and I jump up slightly startled. I quickly head to the door and open it.

"So I brought some stuff and the mail just came so I thought I would get it for you," Wes says with a bags in one hand and my crapload of mail in the other.

"Thanks, Wesley but how did you ring the doorbell?" I laugh.

"Long story short you don't want to know." I shrug it off and hold my door open inviting him in.

"Just throw the mail on the island I highly doubt it's anything of importance." He sets the bag on the island and hands me a flat box that was on top. I open it and read the card inside. I scoff loudly.

"Of fucking course, she would invite me to her wedding! She's the reason I broke mine off!" Wes takes a few steps back and I try my best to contain myself.

"Sorry, you had to see my angry like that."

"Its alright but you were engaged once?" He asks.

"Yeah, but I came home and found her in bed with my fiance whom she is now marrying," I say tossing the box on the table.

"Are you gonna go?"

"It'd be full of everyone talking about what I'm doing with my life and why I haven't found a decent man that has a good job," I say balling my fists.

"What if you did?" he questions, "Have a man with a decent job that is." I look at him and laugh.

"Well, one I don't and two I couldn't lie because everyone there would expect me to bring him and I know they would compare him to the groom," I roll my eyes, "They always have to compare everything there if you don't have the best most expensive things you aren't relevant."

"You should go! You've done so much with your life already! I mean you have your own place, you own and run your own business!"

"Yeah but none of that matters to them, where I'm from the rich Southern Bells are the main attraction you marry the wealthiest man and that's the only thing that matters," I sigh.

"It'd be a good chance to see old friends and show off how much stronger you've become," He smiles.

"I don't have any real friends there..." I frown and shift my gaze, "I don't really have friends, its why it was so easy for me to just pack up and leave."

"I'm sorry... I didn't realize..." he says his smile quickly fading. I could see the thoughts swarming behind his eyes. They weren't kind to him I could tell. I shake off my frown.

"No! Today isn't going to be sad because both of us have had too many sad days!" I beam. He smiles slightly.

"So what if I didn't have friends there! I can make some here," I laugh.

"Can I be the first?!" he asks raising his hand and jumping up and down excitedly.

"Hmm, why not," I say. He claps his hands before pulling me into a hug. He was so much taller than me. My head rested at his chest. I could stay this way forever. Sadly he lets go and ruffles my hair.

"Now it's pancake time!!!!" he runs to the other side of the island and pulls everything out of the bags. After 3 hours of making pancakes and a mess, we both plopped down on my couch.

"I still think you should go," Wes says out of nowhere.

"To what?"

"The wedding."

"No, I'd be completely alone and at the hands of hyenas." Wes turns to me.

"What if you didn't go alone?" he asks.

"I have no one to bring with me, plus I don't want to be asked all these questions about why I moved, it'd be too emotional to face alone," I shift.

"What if someone went with you," he asks, "Someone who would be there for you."

"I don't want to force someone to go with me." He stands up and kneels in front of me.

"Aria, I would be willing to go with you and show everyone what an independent woman you've become," he smiles, "Plus I'm probably way better looking than the groom." I laugh as he tries to do a dramatic hair flip.

"So let's say we pretend to be together and show everyone that you've gotten over what's his face and found someone better," he holds out his hand, "Will you Aria, I don't know your last name, allow me, Wesley Johnson, to accompany you to this shitty wedding that will probably suck for us both?"