jhope-narcolepsy (sf)

based on smeraldo.
'My narcolepsy occurred anytime, anywhere. I always ended up having dreams about mom when I blacked out. The dreams were all alike. I was heading somewhere with mom on a bus.' So even though I never do this, I'm gonna write this one in first person, just cause I feel like it would flow better. Anyway on with the story.

I've known Hoseok for a long time- since we were about 5 or 6. I lived at a foster home at the time, because my dad abused me and my mother was an alcoholic. I moved to the foster home when I was still very young- 2 or 3- with my sister, so it's all I've ever know really.
Then he came along. At first he was a very quiet child. He never spoke to anyone; he would refuse to eat; he wouldn't come out to the park with us or anything. Once I found out why, it all made a bit more sense. He was abandoned by his mother. Completely out of nowhere. When he was found, no one could find his mother. So instead they sent him to a foster home, to live at until they found her, but alas, they never did. His trust was broken by the one person you should trust the most in your life, and so he was heart broken. A sad, depressed 5 year old. Eventually, he started getting louder, once he started seeing a therapist. They helped him 'get back on his feet' so to say. From there we became the closest of friends. We were inseparable.

Despite this, he still showed a lot of side effects, going into his teens. The most prevalent being narcolepsy. He would fall into a deep sleep suddenly, and no one really knew why. But this hurdle only made our relationship stronger. I made sure I was always there to catch him when he fell. As we grew into young adults, our bond became something more than just friends. This may seem weird, considering that we were raised like siblings, but we never really saw it that way.

Now we have moved out into our own apartment, and live, just us two, away from the hectic foster home. He wants to be more independent, but I'm just too afraid to let him out on his own. What if he blacks out while walking and falls and hits his head? Or even worse, what if he blacks out while crossing a road?? The thought just terrifies me. So we're hoping to get a service dog, who could help to warn him of an episode, so he can get to a safe place before it happens. But the dog is still training at the moment, and he's not quite ready to be trusted yet.
But Hoseok is not happy about that.
"Why can't I just be independent? I'm a grown man not a child! Having you constantly following me around; it's patronising!" He shouts, angry. However much I try, I can't calm him down. He ends up storming out the house, and I watch nervously out the window. I want to run to him, but I also want to give him the independence that he's begging for. I watch as he crosses the road, until suddenly he stops, in the middle of the road, and falls to the floor. I immediately run to him. People have gotten out of their cars, thinking he's fainted. I run over to them, and say to a man, who had his phone out ready, "He's got narcolepsy, It's ok you don't have to call the ambulance or anything." I move Hoseok off the road, and onto the pavement, and start trying to wake him up.

"Are you sure he's ok?" The man says holding up his phone.

"yes he's fine i swear. You don't need to call anyone." Another man gets out of his car and starts shouting.

"JESUS CHRIST HE SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME!" I apologise profusely, saying he has narcolepsy. "NARCOLEPSY????? WHY IS HE OUT ON HIS OWN IF HE HAS NARCOLEPSY??? HE COULD'VE DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The screaming was causing me to stress, and I started feeling guilty. I should have gone after him straight away.

"I-I'm sorry i couldn't convince him. He were arguing and he just stormed out of the house before i could go after him." I say, tears starting to form in my eyes. I start to worry about Hoseok, who hasn't woken up yet. I start gently shaking him to try and get him to wake up, meanwhile the man is pacing back and forth, pulling at his hair.