Chapter 20

The twins birthday!

Hal POV:

The shit I do for these kids is unbelievable.

It's 2 am, the day of Sweet Pea and Betty's birthday. It's cold, dark and I'm exhausted. The perfect combination to piss a person off.

I should probably give a little back story on how I ended up in this situation.

Both the kids wanted a dog for their birthday, I stupidly agreed for some reason. I wanted the kids to wake up on their birthday and see the dogs downstairs. Unfortunately I couldn't get the dogs and wrap them up, something about suffocating them or whatever.

I didn't think my plan through enough. I forgot to think that if I wanted to surprise them that means I need to get the dogs before the kids wake up.

I may or may not have had to threaten a worker at the shelter to open up at 2 am. So that's the story of how I got myself into this stupid situation.

I quietly sneaked out of the house and into my car. I started up the engine and drove to the shelter which was half an hour away. If the kids aren't impressed I'm keeping the dogs and putting them in the pound.

I arrived at the place and exchanged a quick hello with the owner before I picked up the dogs and put them in my car.

Betty's dog, the smaller one was easy to put in the car, Sweet Pea's dog on the other hand was an asshole. I guess that's what Sweet Pea wanted anyway.

Along the drive home all I could smell was dog. There was fur floating all around the car. What made me think this was a good idea?

The drive went pretty quickly and thankfully the dogs were quiet on the ride home, that's until we started getting closer to home. Betty's dog began non stop barking. He better shut up before we get home if I want this surprise to work.

I arrived home and now was the challenge of getting them into the house as quietly as possible.

The smaller dog was easy, he is as light as a feather, Sweet Pea's dog though, it was like I'm walking a damn horse into the house.

I got the dogs into the lounge and I built almost like a barricade so that they stayed there and didn't roam the house.

I watched as Sweet Pea's dog looked at Betty's. It looked like his dog would eat hers. This is going to be fun I think sarcastically to myself.

Just as I was about to go to bed I checked up on the dogs one last time, just making sure there was no way they could escape.

I looked at Betty's dog and he slightly opened his mouth, as if he was going to bark. This mutt is not going to ruin this surprise for the kids, but then again, what am I supposed to do?

The dog then closed its mouth, I let out a breath of relief.

I kept my eyes on her dog and I swear I saw a quick smirk flash across his face. He opened his mouth as wide as he could, as if he was saying 'fuck you' to me and let out a bark.

Hal: I'm sending you to the pound. I muttered under my breath.

I listened to hear if anyone had woken up, of course someone had, it was Betty. She came running downstairs and saw the dogs. She ran up to the smaller one and picked him up.

Seeing her reaction reminded me of why I did this.

Hal: surprise. I said with a chuckle. She put down her dog and jumped into my arms. I let out a chuckle.

Betty: I love him, thank you so much dad. She says making me smile
Hal: I'm glad Princess. I say with a smile.

I put her down and she picks up her dog again. She sits down and places him in her lap.