7

I awoke in the morning feeling anything but refreshed. My encounter with my new visitor the afternoon before had left me a little unnerved.

At first I was rather proud of myself for handling it the way I did, but as the night went on, I began to doubt my own sanity.

I did not hear the voice anymore and by the time I was ready for bed, I had myself in a bit of a state. I was, at that point, beginning to wonder if perhaps it was the expensive scotch or maybe even that the very expensive cigar had some a little more than just tobacco in it.

Either way, I had an eerie feeling come over me.

.

I have always been one to overthink things and this situation certainly gave me lots to think about.

Was there really a ghost or was I just imagining things?

I sat in my bed, all the lights on in the house and tried to read. As I got more tired and drunker, I began hearing things and several times walked through the house, naked, making sure no one was there.

Being as brave as I was, I was carrying a golf club for protection. I think it was a 9 iron, but I'm not sure, since I have never played golf in my life.

I wasn't even sure why I bought the set of clubs in the first place. But at least it gave me a false security of some sort. Not that I had any clue what I would do, if I did come across an intruder.

.

I was even beginning to doubt my decision about building a house, in the middle of nowhere, in a little village that didn't even have a local police officer.

All sorts of thoughts were running through my head. I went back to bed, with the golf club next to me and plans to buy a big gun the next day. A real big gun.

.

Eventually I fell asleep. The last time I looked at the clock, it was 4:35 a.m.

I don't know if I fell asleep or simply passed out.

.

It is not that I have to get up at a certain time, but when I did awake, it was only 8:30 a.m.

I looked at the bottle of Glengoyne on the nightstand. It was 2/3 gone.

And I had one hell of a headache.

"For five grand a bottle, you'd think you wouldn't give me a headache."

.

I sat on the edge of the bed. I really needed some ibuprofen and even more so, I needed to use the bathroom.

I got up and started walking to the on-suite.

.

Suddenly I heard a giggle.

I looked down. I never sleep with clothes on, so I was naked.

.

I fell to my knees, covering myself as best I could and I crawled back to my bed and pulled off the comforter.

I looked around the room as I wrapped it around my body.

"Shoo," I said loudly.

.

"I'm not a fly," came the response and another giggle.

.

"Go away. You should not be in here."

.

Another giggle, this one fading away.

.

I grabbed my jeans and underwear from the floor and hurried to the bathroom.

I closed and locked the door behind me. Not that it would do any good. She was a ghost.

.

A half hour later, after a long shower and some pills, I swaggered down the hallway to the kitchen.

"Thank the stars that we unpacked the coffee maker," I said as I quickly made myself a pot of coffee.

A few minutes later I filled a cup with black coffee and went outside to the veranda.

.

It was an absolute beautiful morning and despite the headache and the strange events that were happening to me, it felt amazing.

Again, I felt as though I were home.

.

I sat on the deck of the veranda, my legs hanging over and I lit a cigarette.

I wasn't a heavy smoker, but I did enjoy a cigar or cigarette when I had a few drinks. And since I did not get to enjoy my very expensive cigar the night before, I was going to enjoy a cigarette with my morning coffee.

.

"Those things are not good for you," came the tiny voice.

.

I shook my head, as I inhaled deeply.

"I don't care."

.

"They will make you sick."

.

I took another deep puff and sipped my coffee.

"I don't care."

.

"I still have my knife."

.

I laughed slightly, and turned to where i thought she would be standing.

"I don't care."

.

There was a moments silence.

For some reason, I suddenly felt ashamed of myself for being so rude.

"I'm sorry."

.

"I don't care," came the response.

.

I had to laugh and once again I could hear the sound of a little girl's giggling as it disappeared back into the house.

.

I sipped my coffee and looked out across the ocean.

At least I wasn't going insane.

.

But, I did have a young girl's ghost living with me.

.

"And those things still stink," came a voice, close to me.

.

I turned quickly.

.

There was a slight scream and more giggling, that once again, disappeared into the house.

.

I smiled. This was going to be interesting.