22

The first hour after everyone left, I searched the whole house, trying to find Whisper.

With no luck.

Ghost and Spirit followed me closely and I watched them, for any sign of their little dance, but there was none.

.

I was beginning to get worried, but then I remembered that when we talked, Christmas morning came up, so I could only hope that she felt she should not return until that time.

Though I had no idea where she would go to, since she had told me that she could not leave the house. The veranda was the farthest that she had ever been.

.

I gave up the search for a while and went to Whisper's new room to do some finishing touches, with the hopes that she would be there in the morning.

Once I finished that, I gave Sheila a call and enjoyed a cigar and scotch, in front of my fireplace, while I talked to her.

The cats never left my side.

.

Once I said goodnight to Sheila, promising to see her in the afternoon, the next day, I started my search for Whisper, once again.

This time, I took my time, searching every room, every closet, every corner. I even searched in all the cupboards in the kitchen and even the fridge, stove and microwave. I figured since she was a ghost, she could pretty much hide anywhere.

.

But there was no Whisper and no dances from my cats.

.

Finally, around midnight, I poured one last scotch and sat in front of the fireplace, playing guitar.

Since Whisper loved the sound of my guitar playing so much, I figured, if she was nearby, she would come out of hiding.

Still, no sign of my little girl.

.

Finally, I turned on the tv, to the cartoon channel, changed into my sleep pants and housecoat, took a blanket from the hall closet and lay on the couch, watching cartoons.

.

The last thing I remember was Yosemite Sam claiming, "I hate dat Rabbit."

.

It was my cellphone ringing that brought me out of a deep sleep.

I sleepily answered it, "Hello?"

.

"Will, thank you so much for the new computer. It is perfect. I just love it."

.

It was Henry.

His excited voice brought a smile to my face.

"You are so welcome, Henry. I can help you set it up, later, when I come to dinner."

.

Henry laughed.

"I have it set up, Will and I am already on Facebook. This is the greatest gift in the world.

Thank you."

His voice faded.

.

"Your welcome," I half yelled.

.

The next thing I heard was Sheila's laugh. She had such a wonderful laugh.

"I hope he didn't wake you, Will. He has been up since 5 and has been itching to call you. I held him off as long as I could."