33

I was staying at a cabin, that was a part of Oceanside Motel, in the community of Twillingate. It was about a 4 hour drive from Maynard's Rock.

I thought it would be far enough for me not to be recognized. Not that anyone would recognize me.

.

I was at the small pub in the motel, having a drink at the bar and chatting with the bartender, Hank. I was a regular at the Pub and having a couple beer there was a part of my nightly routine.

I got to chat with Hank and his wife, Cavelle, who were not only bartenders, but they owned the Motel and cabins.

.

This particular night, Hank seemed distracted.

.

"You okay, me buddy?"

.

Hank laughed slightly.

"You know you have da worst Newfie accent, in da world, don't cha, Will, me son."

.

"Well, at least I got a smile from you. You really seem distracted, my friend."

.

He took a deep breath and sat on the stool that was at the end of the bar.

"Business hasn't been dat good, Will. And quite honestly, the stress of running this place is gettin' to me and da wife. We don't get no time fer nuttin'. And we can't afford to hire any new staff. We even has our 2 kids workin' here on the weekends."

He laughed.

.

"What?"

.

"Youse a good guy, Will. I wish we had more people like you, dat were stayin' here. We mite not be in da pickle we is."

He stood up.

"Maybe den we wood git a break, now and den."

.

Cavelle came to the bar, with a tray of empty glasses and bottles.

"You bendin' poor ole Will's ear, with our problems?"

.

"Its okay. I just wish I could help."

.

She smiled.

"Ifin you could lend us some money, dat might help."

She turned from the bar.

.

"How much?"

.

She stopped and turned. A huge smile on her face.

"It not be your problem, Will."

.

I finished my beer and motioned for another.

"Cavelle? How much money are we talking?"

.

Hank passed me a beer.

"To git us out of debt and maybe git a few updates done, it would be about $300,000."

.

I sipped my beer.

.

Cavelle smiled.

"Don't be worryin' 'bout it, Will."

She kissed my cheek.

"We Doves have always looked after our own problems."