69

Whisper smiled a sad smile. "You can't stop them Daddy. It is the way it is supposed to be."

.

I didn't know what to say. My still partly drunk mind, was trying to piece together what Whisper was saying. I was not 100% sure I understood, but I did understand that if Evangeline and I were together, then I might possibly lose Whisper.

And that was a possibility that I did not want to have to deal with.

"I won't let them take you. I will talk to them."

.

Whisper giggled a little. It was so nice to hear her do so.

"You can't talk to them Daddy. They only talk to me."

.

"Who are they?"

.

"I told you, Daddy. They are my parents, Alice and Calvin Dove. They are the ones that sent me back."

.

"Then you tell them that I want to talk with them. I will make this right, sweetie."

.

She kissed my cheek.

"They are angels, Daddy. They will not talk to you. They only talk to me.

They would not listen, even if you could."

She took a deep breath.

"I have tried to talk sense into them, but they will not listen. I even got mad at them, but it was no good."

.

I was trying desperately to understand what Whisper was saying, but the more I listened, the more confused I became.

With what had happened the day before and the terrible hangover that I had, the conversation was making less sense as it went along.

.

I stood up. "I need a shower. We will talk about this more, when my head is clearer."

.

"Want me to make you some coffee, Daddy?"

.

I gave her a strange look.

"I would love a coffee, but ..."

.

"Oh, sorry Daddy. I guess we don't have a coffee maker."

.

I thought of something. "There is a campfire one, with the camping equipment, somewhere at the back of the basement, but hell if I know where it is."

.

"I will get it Daddy."

She jumped off the bed. "I will find it. You go shower."

She disappeared.

.

I showered, shaved and changed my clothes. I felt 100% better, but still had a ways to go.

As I walked down the hallway, I could smell coffee.

.

"That smells so good," I commented, as I walked into the kitchen.

Whisper passed me an aluminum coffee mug.

"Thank you sweetie."

It was hot, black and tasted great.

"Where did you find the coffee."