46

I was frozen, not from the winter's cold, but from what sounded like a little girl's voice. I had often imagined Whisper's voice, at nights, when I sat alone at the gazebo. But this was not the same. It was clear and sounded like she was next to me.

I could not move, or more so, I did not want to move, for fear the moment would pass.

.

I forced out the words.

"I missed you."

I could barely recognize my voice.

.

"I missed you too Daddy."

.

From the corner of my eye, I could see a warm glow, a faint light, becoming brighter, by the second.

Was this another dream?

Was this my mind playing some cruel trick on me?

.

"Are you cold?" asked the voice.

.

Tears filled my eyes. I continued staring out at the ocean, still terrified to turn, terrified that if I did, it would be a dream and I would be sitting here, at my gazebo, alone.

"I'm not cold," I said softly.

.

"You're shaking, Daddy."

.

I was, but not from the cold.

"I'm scared."

.

"Of me?"

.

I shook my head. "No, scared that it is not you. That this is a dream."

I closed my eyes and wiped the tears.

.

When I opened them, she was there. She was inches from my face, staring at me, hovering above the ground.

It was her. It was my Whisper. It was not a dream.

The tears became sobbing.

.

"It is not a dream Daddy. It's me."

.

I could not focus. The tears were too heavy. I buried my face in my hands and cried like a baby.

I could feel her touch, stroking my head, like a faint breath caressing me.

.

"I have come back. I came back for you."

.

It took nearly ten minutes for me to gather some semblance of calmness. My nose was running and my eyes were stinging. My throat was sore and my stomach felt like I had been punched repeatedly.

.

She remained, hovering, in front of me. A huge smile, on her beautiful face.

.

"How?"

The single word I uttered, took more energy, than if I had recited a novel.

.

I saw her hand touch my face. She shook her head, gently.

"I don't know, Daddy. They just told me I had to come back."

.

I took a deep breath, wiping my eyes again and trying to calm myself down.

"They?"