9

She stood quietly, at the foot of his bed, watching the blankets rise and fall, as he slept.

She was actually kind of amazed at the fact that, she no longer feared him. That she did not want to run and hide, when she saw him. That he felt like no threat.

.

He snored slightly.

She giggled softly, covering her mouth, so as not to wake him.

'He is a nice man,' she thought to herself.

'He would never hurt me.'

.

She did not know why she thought such a thing. But then again, he had never done anything, that would even resemble a threat against her. He had been very nice to her.

.

She walked around the corner of the large bed and stood near the night table, staring at him.

His face was illuminated by the full moon, shining through the bedroom window.

.

'He is not a scary man,' she assured herself.

'He never raises his voice. Never seems to be angry.

Although he does smoke."

She shook her head. She did not like the smell of his cigars or the cigarettes.

.

She slowly crawled up on the bed and silently sat across from him. She was not afraid of the night or the darkness, but she did feel lonely.

And she did miss her Mommy and Daddy, although she could not even picture them. If indeed they did exist at all.

.

He snored loudly, his hand wiping against his mouth.

.

She giggled.

Loudly.

Perhaps too loudly.

.

He rolled to his back and began to sit up.

.

She panicked and jumped off the bed, running to the far corner of the room and hiding in the darkness.

~~~~~

I woke up suddenly. Perhaps, I had been snoring and woke myself up. My mouth was dry.

.

I reached across and turned on the light on my nightstand and took the half full glass of water. I chugged it down quickly. It did make me feel better.

I put the glass back on the night stand and took a deep breath, blowing it out, with an exaggerated gesture.

.

I heard a giggle. Very soft and it seemed muffled, but it was there.

.

"Hello?"

.

There was no answer.

.

I smiled.

"I know you are here."

I sat up in the bed, pulling the comforter up to my waist.

"Where are you hiding?"

.

There was still no sound, but I had the feeling that she was walking out of the room and into the hallway.