26

It was the making of a perfect night.

Sheila and I sat at a table with her brother Kevin and his wife Joan.

Her cousin Donald and his wife Bonnie sat with us as well, along with Bobby and Jessie.

.

We ate. I tried foods that I didn't even know existed.

Cod tongues, cod cheeks, dried capelin, squid and seal flipper pie.

Most of it I enjoyed, but the seal flipper pie, was definitely an acquired taste. One that I wasn't sure I would be able to acquire.

.

We talked.

Everyone in the Rock, as they referred to Maynard's Rock, was so friendly and always quick with a joke.

I had never known a group of people who so loved to poke fun at themselves, but such were newfoundlanders, or Newfs as they affectionately are called.

I can't remember the last time I laughed so much, or had so much fun.

.

We danced.

I was never a dancer, by any means and the last time I danced, I was purely drunk. But dancing with Sheila was so easy.

She was always smiling and laughing.

I was a little embarrassed at how bad a dancer I was, but no one seemed to noticed. And if they did, they obviously didn't care.

It was a celebration and everyone was in a good mood.

.

About 10 o'clock, the mayor, John Maynard got up on the stage and took the microphone.

"Cut da music, boys, fer a few minutes."

.

The musicians that were on stage stopped playing, to the groans of those on the dance floor.

.

"Oh quiet down. Youse can all dance later, but first heres some important business we has to take care of."

.

Slowly everyone sat down, except for one man who stood in front of the stage.

.

John glared at the man, laughing.

"Donald? Sit your ass down me son."

.

The crowd laughed. Apparently Donald was a bit of a clown.

Donald raised his glass to the Mayor and obliged him by dancing to his seat and sitting down.

"She be all yours now, Mayor me son."

.

John nodded and continued.

"We have a special guest here tonight. The newest citizen of Maynard's Rock and a fine young man dat me sister Sheila has taken quite a shining' to.

Mr. Will Templeton. Will, come on up here."

.

I froze. What was I suppose to do?

I looked at Sheila. She was laughing and clapping along with the others.

.

"Come on Will, don't be too afraid," John tried to convince me.

Finally he looked at his sister." Sheila, get his ass up here."