60

Two weeks had passed by since Evangeline's visit. I had expected to hear from her. Well, I had hoped that I would hear from her, but there was nothing.

I checked my cell phone, that was charging on the kitchen counter.

There was nothing.

.

Whisper passed me my morning coffee.

"She will come back Daddy."

.

"Who, sweetie?"

.

"Daddy. You know who I am talking about."

.

I smiled. "It's ok sweetie. I don't expect to see her again. Evangeline is a busy woman."

I walked outside. It was another beautiful, early September day.

.

"Don't be sad Daddy."

.

"I am ok Whisper. I just want to be alone for a minute."

I walked to the gazebo and stared out over the ocean.

I wasn't ok. I could not believe that I was so miserable.

Seeing Evangeline again had brought back the feelings that had hit me so quickly, when I was in Twillingate. But, a part of me was so happy for her. She was doing what she loved and now she was being recognized for it.

.

The coffee was good. Whisper had gotten so good at blending the coffee.

I looked back at the house. I could see her playing with Spirit and Ghost on the veranda.

She was such a wonderful little girl. She didn't deserve to suffer for my depression. I needed some cheering up and nothing made me happier than making Whisper happy.

.

A thought came to me.

I ran back to the house.

"Come on little girl. Let's go to Western Brook."

.

"Where is that?"

Her voice was so excited.

.

"It is about an hour or so from here and it has the most beautiful beach and this late in the year, there will be nobody there at all."

.

She clapped her hands and let out a little shriek. She so loved going in the car.

She kissed me quickly on the cheek and then disappeared.

.

"Whisper?"

I looked around, but could not see her.

.

Suddenly the horn on my Rav4 sounded, long and very loud.

I jumped slightly and turned.

Whisper was already in the car.

"Hurry Daddy. Why are you so slow?"

.

I went inside, changed, grabbed a thermos of coffee and we were off.

.

Western Brook is one of the most beautiful spots in Newfoundland. An out of the way little beach, with the softest blonde coloured sand that you have ever seen or felt.