48

It was a Monday morning, near the end of February.

Whisper had been back nearly a full two months and things had never been better. There had been some crappy weather for the past week or so, but this was a beautiful, sunny day, so I decided that I would make a trip to Corner Brook.

Jessie, Bobby and I had written a few songs and were anxious to start recording them, so I decided that I would drive to the city and get some new strings and as always, saunter around my favourite stores.

.

Whisper and I had our breakfast, as usual, which meant the cats got a second breakfast, and then I told Whisper I had to go to Corner Brook to pick up some groceries and some new guitar strings.

.

She got so excited. "Are we going now?"

.

"We?"

.

She looked sad. "I understand if you don't want me to come."

.

I knelt in front of her. "Are you able too?"

.

She nodded, her eyes wide with excitement. Her face literally glowing.

.

"And no one will see you?"

.

She shook her head.

.

I jumped up and grabbed my coat, from the back of the chair. "Then let's go."

I no sooner had the words out of my mouth, then she disappeared.

When I opened the front door, she was sitting in the passenger's seat, in my Rav4.

.

"Come on, Daddy," she was yelling.

"You are so slow."

.

I got in the car and put on my seatbelt, turning to her, "Put on your seatbelt, too," I joked.

.

She looked at me seriously.

"I don't know how, Daddy."

.

"Well," I reached across.

.

She looked at me, a huge, exaggerated, smile on her face.

.

"Funny girl," I snickered, as we pulled out of the driveway.

.

On the way to Corner Brook, she stared out the window, like she was seeing the world for the first time. Her hands on the window, little gasps coming from her now and then, as something caught her eye.

.

"Having fun?"

.

She turned to me quickly and nodded, but just as quickly, looked back out the window.

"I have never been in a car," she said excitedly, watching the scenery go by.

"It goes so fast, Daddy."

.

"Really? You were never in a car?"

.

She shook her head and turned to me, standing on the passenger's seat, hands on the dash, looking out the front windshield.