10

While I was in Corner Brook buying groceries and such for my new home, I happened to drive by the local pet shop. I had never really had a pet in my life, but had always wanted one.

I was tempted several times to get a cat, but because of my lifestyle, I was afraid that I would neglect the poor animal.

But now, I felt settled and I felt I was ready to have a pet of my own.

.

As soon as I walked in the store I saw them.

Two kittens, huddled together in the corner of the display case. As soon as I walked toward them, they stood up and began meowing, pawing at the glass of the display case.

They stole my heart.

.

"I think they like you," the saleslady said.

.

I nodded.

"I believe they do," I remarked, even though I suspected that she said the same to anyone who looked at the kittens.

.

"They usually don't react like this," she added.

.

I nodded politely. Again, I felt it was just a line, although she did seem sincere.

.

"I am not just saying this," she assured me, with a hint of surprise in her voice.

"I have a policy that I will not let any of my animals go, unless I see a connection between them and perspective owners."

.

I looked at the two beautiful kittens. I still had some doubts but...

.

"They are the only two left from two litters we had. They are kind of attached to each other."

.

I looked at the saleslady and smiled.

"They are beautiful."

.

"It would be a shame to separate them."

.

I shook my head.

"Not a worry. I will take both of them."

.

She smiled and hugged me.

"Thank you. I know they will be wonderful pets."

.

One was white with blue eyes and the other was black with green eyes. As soon as she passed them to me, they began purring and snuggled into my arms.

I was almost in tears.

Nothing had ever shown that kind of affection to me.

.

The saleslady shook her head.

"Honestly, sir."

.

"Will," I said, happily as i petted the two kittens.

"My name is Will."

.

"Honestly, Will. I have never seen animals react like that. They just ..."

She smiled.

"They seem to love you."

.

I had to agree. And it felt good to be loved.

They both were looking up at me and a warmth came over me, unlike anything I had ever felt.

Except for my little ghost.

.

It was love at first sight and there was not a doubt in my mind.

.

As I pulled up to the front of my house, I had only one concern.

Would my room mate like them? I knew in my heart it didn't really matter, but ...

I felt like she belonged. And I wanted her to like the kittens.

.

I brought in the groceries first and then all the cat stuff I had bought from the pet shop. The saleslady said I didn't need half of the things I bought, but I didn't care. Everything I looked at, looked perfect. So I bought two of everything.

She even commented that she might close early, since I had spent over a thousand dollars.

I assured her I would be back for more and that I would keep her up to date on the kitten's progress.

.

The kittens were asleep in the carrier, so I put it on the counter while I quickly put away the frozen food and perishables. The rest could wait.

I then opened a can of the kitten food that I had bought. I tried to be quiet, but the sound of the can opening woke the kittens, so as soon as I put the food in the dishes, I put them on the floor next to it.

They hurried to the bowls and began to eat.

I then set up the litter box I had bought and as soon as they ate a little, I put them in the box. They both peed a little and ran back to their food.

The saleslady told me to let them get familiar with the cat pan before I moved it. I planned to put it in the entrance first and eventually in a special place in the basement.

.

While they continued to eat, I set up the cat bed I had bought. It had a built in heater and actually made little sounds like a mother cat would. It was supposed to calm the kittens and help them sleep.

The saleslady, Kim, told me that it was not necessary to buy such a bed, as the kittens were nearly nine weeks old, but I didn't care.

Kim told me they would be fine with each other, but that the special bed would certainly help them adjust.

And I wanted them to adjust, as quickly as possible. Although I was concerned how they would adjust to having a ghost around. Or would they even know it was a ghost.

.

As I was about to put the bed on the counter I happened to look down at the kittens. What I saw, I could not believe. They were sitting side by side, staring up toward the ceiling.

They then tried to get up on their back paws, their front paws clumsily batting at the air, as if they were trying to play with some invisible toy.

Or some invisible person.

.

I then heard the familiar giggle, that I was quickly beginning to love.

I had to smile.

"I hope you don't have your knife with you. I wouldn't want you to hurt the kittens."