18

What to get Whisper for Christmas?

And even if I could figure out exactly what to get her, how do you sneak something past an entity?

Most people don't have those issues, but for me; it was a part of my daily routine.

.

Truth was, I knew exactly what I wanted to get Whisper, but I had no idea how to do it.

I had to come up with a plan and quick, if I was to have the gift ready for Christmas.

I only had 8 days to prepare my surprise.

.

I needed some help and I knew just the man who could help me.

.

As I walked into the General Store, the first person I saw was Sheila.

"Shit."

I forgot to talk to Whisper about Christmas dinner.

.

She came straight to me and gave me a warm hug.

"Nice to see you, Will."

She kissed my cheek.

"I still love that shade of red," she whispered to me.

.

I have to admit, I was becoming quite attracted to this wonderful woman and she seemed to be interested in me.

.

"So, have you decided about Christmas dinner.

I don't mean to nag you, Will, but, if you are coming, then I have to get dinner ready. If not, Henry and I will have dinner with John and Cora."

.

I took a deep breath.

.

She smiled a sad smile.

"Its okay. I just thought that ..."

.

"I would love to," I said, gently.

.

Her big brown eyes got even bigger.

"Really?"

.

I nodded.

"What time?"

.

"Anytime after 3 in the afternoon. We could have a drink before dinner and maybe you could even help a little."

.

"Then its a date."

.

Sheila smiled.

"Yes, it is."

.

There was a moment of awkward silence that probably would have continued on, if not for John.

.

"Will Templeton. Nice to see ya boy."

He came up to me and slapped me on the back.

With him were a man and woman.

"I wants ya to meet a couple people. This be Bobby Traverse and this lovely creature is his wife, Jessie."

.

I shook hands with both of them.

"You wouldn't happen to be a carpenter, would you?" I joked.

.