37

I talked to Bobby for almost an hour and by the time I got off the cell phone, I promised him I would leave the next day to come back home.

.

I went to the Pub, where Hank and Cora were closing down.

We shared a drink and I told them of my plan to go back home.

.

"Be dis fer gud, Will, boy?"

.

I shook my head.

"No. I just have something I have to take care of and I promise I will be back as soon as I can.

I will check in with you every day and make sure that all our plans stay on schedule."

.

Cora smiled a sad smile.

"Won't be da same, without you 'ere, Will, me love.

Youse like part of da family."

.

Hank laughed, adding, "and da Pub won't be da same without those two cats be yours. Dey is a part of da place too."

.

"You two make it sound like I will never be back."

.

"Well," Cora reminded me, "dis be not yer 'ome, Will. Back dere, wherever dere is. Dat be yer 'ome."

.

I put my hand on hers.

"I will be back. I promise."

.

We finished our beers and I gave both of them huge hugs.

I planned to get on the road, as soon as I woke up. Hopefully I would catch Evangeline before she left, so I could say goodbye to her.

.

I packed my clothes and personal belongings, before finally going to bed.

It was almost 4am.

.

Sleep came quick, but I did not wake until almost 9.

Evangeline was gone, already.

.

I quickly said goodbye, again to Cora and Hank and the kids and told them to say goodbye to Evangeline for me. Moments later, I was on the road.

It was a great day, so the drive should be pleasant and Ghost and Spirit seemed excited about the drive.

.

It was after dark, by the time I pulled off the highway and into the little community that I called home.

The strangest feeling came over me as I drove through the deserted street and off toward my house. I didn't see a single soul anywhere, which really was kind of weird, considering that there was always some kind of activity going on.

But tonight, it was just quiet.

.

As I pulled up in front of my house, I noticed that even Bobby and Jessie's vehicle was no where to be found.

I unlocked the front door of the house and opened it, so Ghost and Spirit could go inside, which they did, in the blink of an eye.

.

I took my luggage and went inside as well.

Again, a strange feeling overtook me.

.