30

I was suddenly outside. I could feel the strong wind blowing snow against me, blinding me.

I could barely see the ghostly orange against the heavy snowfall. I knew it was the fire ravishing what was left of the Dove home.

.

I heard a voice, a mere whisper against the driving wind, but it was there.

"Mommy, Mommy. Where are you? Daddy. I'm so scared."

.

I listened carefully and then headed toward the voice. I could see little in the blinding snow, but I recognized the voice. At least Jenny had not perished in the fire.

"Jenny, where are you?"

.

"Daddy, is that you Daddy?"

There was a hint of hope in her voice.

.

My heart was beating quickly. She heard me.

"I'm right here, honey," I yelled, as loudly as I could.

I, still, couldn't see a thing. But I was determined. I kept moving forward, blinded by the wind and snow.

.

I kept yelling her name. There was no answer. I was not sure if she had been answering me or actually yelling for her parents.

A sudden cold blast, ran up my body.

I stopped in my tracks, looking down.

.

Below me was the cold Atlantic Ocean.

I was standing at the edge of the cliff. The waves, some 100 feet below, beat savagely against the rocks at the base of the cliff, pushed by the raging winds.

.

My heart was pounding louder, now, and my breaths were mere gasps.

.

The wind died down, for a moment and I saw her. She was no more than ten feet in front of me, also, at the edge of the cliff.

.

"Jenny."

I could hear my voice but she obviously couldn't. She stood, arms wrapped around herself, freezing in the cold wind.

I yelled as loud as I could, but I could see that she did not hear me.

.

She was trying to see through the blinding snow.

"Daddy? Mommy?"

.

I saw something to the left of me.

Whisper.

She was moving toward Jenny, as if being drawn toward her.

.

"Whisper?"

.

"Daddy. Will. Help me," she yelled, a panic to her voice.

"What is happening?"

.

Now I was terrified. What was happening?

I could still see Jenny, but Whisper was quickly moving toward her, as if being pulled by some unknown force.

.

"Daddy, help me", she yelled.

"Please."

.

Then Jenny yelled. "Mommy, Daddy, where are you?"