28

I walked home in less than 15 minutes. Well more like, half jogged, half walked.

It was a beautiful night and normally I would have been captivated by the beautiful scenery, but my mind was overwhelmed by the story I had just been told.

.

I felt bad for leaving Sheila at the party, but I simply couldn't stay. As much as I loved Sheila, I had this drive in me. I had to go home. I had to talk to Whisper.

I hated lying to Sheila, but I had to leave.

I knew that she would understand, once I explained things to her.

If she believed me at all.

.

In one way, I was so happy that I finally knew what had happened with Whisper/Jenny, and her family, but on the other hand I was sick to my stomach.

I knew that they were all dead; that was obvious by the amount of time that had elapsed since Jenny/Whisper had become a ghost. What hit me the hardest, was the horrible manner by which they died.

And the fact that Jenny's / Whisper's body had never been found. That hurt more than anything.

Now I had to know, what had happened to her.

.

I was literally out of breath by the time I reached the house. I was to upset/excited to go in at that very moment, so I stood on my wrap around veranda and looked out across the ocean that stretched in front of me. I took a can of beer from my pocket, that I had taken from the party and opened it.

I drank heavy from the can, even though it was warm. It actually warmed me up a bit.

I then took a White Owl cigar from my inside jacket pocket.

Sheila was the one who had suggested the cigars to me and at that second, I felt an urge to run back to the party and be with her. I was still feeling guilty about leaving.

But I couldn't.

I wiped a tear from my eye and lit the cigar.

"I hope you understand, my love?" I said aloud.

.

I knew I had to tell Whisper/Jenny what i had found out, but I wasn't quite sure how I was going to do it, or what her reaction would be.

I puffed hard on the cigar. It tasted so good.

I began to clam down a little.

.

"They still stink, Daddy."

.

I turned around. Whisper was walking toward me. A second later, she was by my side.

.

"Honey, you are going to get cold," I told her.

"Go back inside."

.

Whisper giggled.

"Daddy, I'm a ghost. I don't get cold."

.

It was the first time I had heard her talk about herself that way. We had never really discussed what she was.

.

"Come inside, Daddy. You can get cold."

Her voice had more than a hint of concern to it.

.

"You go in honey. I will be in shortly."

.