~11~

~~~~~

After my first day at school, I pretty much faded into the background. I was neither good nor bad at anything, just average. I was the weird kid in the back to put it simply. I focus on my school and ignore most of everything else. The only time attention was brought on me was when Iruka calls on me to answer a question, and even then it's a rare occurrence.

Tenzo encouraged me to make friends, that however proved to be hard. I really only needed Tenzo, no one else. Things are perfect, and I want them to stay as such.

Which brings us to where I am now. 

The wind played with my hair and feathers as I flew- no, as I soared through the moonlit skies, far above Konoha. Tenzo understood that I couldn't stand to be cooped up all the time, so at night, he looked the other way and let me go outside; on the condition that I make sure no one sees me.

Stealth wasn't a problem. 

Every night I open my window, jump onto the ledge, and silently take off, waiting until I was somewhere more suitable to gain altitude. Flapping could be loud.

It's been almost a year now since Tenzo started looking after me, and my eighth birthday was fast approaching. I hadn't changed much though. I still wore a long coat, still had my round eyeglasses, and wasn't taller by much. The only significant change really was that I was letting my hair grow and it now reached just past my shoulder blades. As weird as it sounds, Tenzo also enjoys messing with my hair.

My powerful raven-like wings beat against the wind, pushing me up into the clouds. I let myself free fall for a mere second before catching the wind again. While flying had become as habitual as walking or talking, I still didn't like the feeling of free fall.

~~~~~

I pushed my glasses onto my head for a moment and yawned, rubbing at my eyes. I stayed out later than I should've last night, but in the end, it was always worth it. I crossed my arms and rested my head on top of them, deciding I could probably get away with sleep.

I was rudely awoken by my name being shouted.

"...Yuuto and Hinata!"

I jolted up and scrambled to put my glasses back on. 

"What's happening?" I mumbled.

"W-we're in a g-group for an English p-project." Hinata stuttered, scaring the crap out of me.

I jumped, my face flushing a little out of embarrassment.

"S-sorry, I seemed to have dozed off." I laughed awkwardly. "What is the assignment?"

"W-we have to come up w-with as many English greetings as we c-can." She replied, messing with her fingers.

"Ah, that's easy." I grin. "Is it cool if you write them down?"

Hinata nodded. "T-that's fine."

I couldn't help but let a maniacal smirk form on my face. My prior English knowledge is really going to help.

~~~~~

After that project, Hinata and I became really close. She came over to Tenzo and I's apartment a few times and helped out, although it really wasn't needed. My feelings for her I only felt grow. She was kind and just all around helpful. As my hair grew even longer, she also took pleasure in styling it for me, explaining that her dad wanted her to keep her hair short.

To put it simply, Hinata is my only friend.

"Dammit Tenzo quit crying!"

"But you made a friend!"

"Shut up!"

~~~~~

"Happy birthday!"

I open my eyes with a groan and squint at the blurry figure before me.

"Good morning?" I mumble, feeling around my nightstand for my trusty spectacles.

My glasses were shoved onto my face and revealed Tenzo, smiling like an idiot.

"Happy birthday!"

"I know." I yawn, slowly getting out of bed.

"Get dressed already! We're heading out to get you something special for breakfast!" Tenzo exclaimed, skipping out of my room. Yes, skipping.

I roll my eyes but get up.

I lazily throw on my pants, shoes and coat, running a hand through my silky hair once and shrugging. It's Saturday after all, I deserve to not give a shit. I leave my room and head down the hallway and into the kitchen, where Tenzo cooked breakfast while wearing a stupid pink apron.

"Were you always this strange?" I asked, taking a seat at the table.

"No clue!" He chirped. "All I know is that I've lived alone for ages, and then, almost a year ago, you came to live with me."

"Only because the Hokage ordered it." I added, leaning back in my chair and putting my feet up.

"Oi! Feet down!" Tenzo barked, pointing a spatula at me accusingly. "And I was going to offer you live with me anyway, we have a special connection."

I couldn't argue with that one. Orochimaru fucked us both up.

I sigh and put my feet down. "Anyway, what'cha cooking?"

"Pancakes, bacon and eggs!" He replied.

I smiled at that. Tenzo's chipper attitude tended to make others uncomfortable, including me, but eventually, I adjusted. Besides, the less sanity you have, the easier it is to get along with him.

A plate appeared in front of me, practically glowing with its delicious beauty. The chair across from me slid across the floor and Tenzo took a seat, thankfully he wasn't wearing the pink apron. Tenzo was in his usual laid back attire, a single kunai pouch on him and his face protector was where it should be; on his face of course.

"So, what do you say after breakfast we head to the training ground?" Tenzo asked, winking.

"Ah, so the special training ground?" I replied, an eyebrow raised.

"Yep."

By special training ground, all it meant was that we were going to a place called the Forest of Death, or just Training Ground 44.  The Third Hokage himself had permitted me to train there, but only when Tenzo was present, which was surprisingly a lot.

Shit. I really hope I'm not interfering with Tenzo's position as an ANBU captain. Lets tuck that thought away for later.

"Go get your bow, quiver, and weapons," Tenzo ordered, collecting the dishes. "We leave in fifteen."

"Alright, I should be ready in ten minutes at the most." I reply, heading back towards my room.

I gather up all of my weapons and attach the pouch to my waist, slinging my quiver over my shoulder. Afterwards, I head to the bathroom. Now just to do my hair...

~~~~~

"Don't you just love the smell of death in the morning?" I grin.

"Love it." Tenzo agreed sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

The gates creaked open with a metallic groan and we entered the deadly forest, both of us grinning like idiots.

"Come on, Yuuto, there's a spot I want to show you." Tenzo said, waving me further into the forest.

"Lead the way, good sir," I replied, bowing mockingly.

"Alright goofball, follow me."

We walk even further into the forest before we come to a huge clearing surrounded by even bigger trees. Sitting in the middle of the clearing was a wooden table with three chairs, and standing next to the table was Hinata, who held a brand new bamboo bow.

"Happy birthday Yuuto!"

A/N

That was so sweet! I'm going to die!