Pride (Snotlout X Reader)

HTTYD 2

You had always hated Snotlout. He was obnoxious, loud, and annoying. But most of all, he had inherited the famous Jorgenson ego. And to top it all off, you hated how he constantly disrespected the leader of the dragon riders. And yet, he had the audacity to flirt with you every chance he got.

But right now, you had bigger problems; Drago had just captured you and the other riders. Thank Thor Hiccup wasn't there, or you'd have no hope of escaping. You were about to be walked off a plank into freezing cold water when Eret decided to help you all out.

Once your ropes were cut, you let out a battle cry and knocked out one of the guards. Within seconds, all of the guards were down...but so were you.

"Ah!" You cried in pain as you fell to the ground.

"(Y/n)!" Astrid knelt beside you in worry. Looking at the arrow in the side of your thigh, she fretted, "oh, gods. Of all the times to get hurt.."

But you refused to be weakened. Gripping the arrow, you yanked it from your leg, gritting your teeth. "I'll be fine," you growled through the pain, tearing the cloth from your shirt sleeve, "go get our dragons."

Astrid nodded firmly and left with the others, but Snotlout hesitated. You rolled your eyes as you began to tightly wrapped your wound, "go, would you?"

"But what if--"

"I said go," you told him again.

But Snotlout wasn't going anywhere. He sneered back at you as you struggled to your feet, "no, (Y/n), whether you hate me or not, I'd never forgive myself if you didn't make it back home."

You were shocked by his assertiveness, but still irritated. "Whatever, let's go," you told him. But after a few steps, your legs gave out and pain courses through your body. Before hitting the ground, however, you were caught by Snotlout. He had lifted you up, carrying you bridal style with a hard look on his face. You wanted to object, but your energy was fading.

"Stay with me, (Y/n)," you heard Snotlout's concerned voice. He placed you on the ground for a moment to open one of the dragon traps. Then, he lifted you into it with him and closed it back up.

Inside it was pitch black. "I-I can't see anything," you stuttered.

As if qued by your words, fire lit the dark trap; Hookfang. You smiled, feeling a bit better, but frowned again when you saw Snotlout. His face was still extremely stern, and it almost scared you; he hardly ever looked so intensely serious. You watched in silence as he tore a sleeve from his shirt and slipped it off his arm. Finally, he broke the tense quiet, "give me your leg."

"I don't need your help," you retorted.

Snotlout sighed angrily, "clearly, you do." He forced your knee up so that he could rewrap the wound. "You didn't tie this tight enough."

Finally, you let him help. Pain surged through your leg as he pulled the cloth thigh with all of his strength. "Ow!" You yelped before growling, "you're not doing it right, you have to be more gentle."

"If it's not tight enough you'll bleed out," Snotlout argued.

You rolled your eyes in irritation and retorted, "you and your Jorgenson pride are going to be the death of me. Quite literally, considering my condition."

But this seemed to snap something in the young man. He stared into your eyes and demanded in disbelief, "you think this is about pride?" Then his eyes became more desperate and emotional, something you'd never seen in him before. "I'm trying to save your life," Snotlout reminded you, "none of has to do with pride, it never has. I do what I do for you because I want to impress you. Because I want to meet your standards."

You were shocked silent as he continued, his voice becoming broken, "and I'm here with you right now, because I love you, and if you die..I'll have failed my most important mission. And I've tried to stop loving you, believe me, but I can't. So I'm sorry, but for once, stop being so stubborn and just let me help you."

There was silence again for a few minutes, then Snotlout spoke to his dragon, who was still flamed up. "Save it for the fight, Hookfang," he told him in a calmer voice.

Then the darkness returned. After a while of awkward silence, you finally spoke, the guilt obvious in your voice, "I'm sorry, Snotlout."

"It's fine," Snotlout answered shortly, but it was clear that it wasn't, "..I'm sorry for yelling at you."

"..I didn't know you're feelings for me were so, serious," you admitted guiltily.

You heard him sigh quietly and go on, "it doesn't matter, I know you hate me." But to his surprise, Snotlout felt a hand slide into his.

"I hated who I assumed you were," you told him, "I guess I was the one with a pride problem." Snotlout sqeezed your hand gently, feeling his heart race. "And I might not love you the way you love me..yet...but I could give you a chance," you offered, sqeezing his hand back, "if you still want me."

You immediately felt yourself being pulled into a hug. "Thank you! Oh Thor! You won't regret this, I promise," he exclaimed.

"Well I might if you keep touching my leg," you joked through the pain.

"Oh my Thor, I'm sorry," Snotlout released you, and you laughed. He, too, chuckled a bit; he'd never been happier.

Soon, the traps were opened. After a long battle, Drago was finally defeated. Berk had been saved. You felt like your life had completely restarted as you took Snotlout by the hand and leaned on his shoulder. This was a day you'd remember forever, for many different reasons.