Trust Pt. 1 (Dagur X Neha)

Requested by: GoldsberryDiggs

After RTTE

Neha loved life of Dragon's Edge. She'd only met the riders a few months ago when they saved her timberjack, Ustara, from hunters. But in this time they'd become her best friends, and her only friends. Being quite quiet around strangers, not many people paid her mind. This, however, had proven to be a very useful trait for eavesdropping and figuring out information.

She'd just woken up from a nap and was heading to the club house for dinner when she heard a furious yell. Recognizing it as Heather, she began to run. Upon reaching the entrance, her raven haired friend was holding an ax to someone's neck, a man who'd been trying to kill Hiccup and the riders for years. Neha had never seen him in person, but she recognized from her friends' stories; Dagur the Deranged.

Already shocked as to why Dagur was there, Neha was blown away when Hiccup tried to defend him. She mainly stood back with the twins while everyone else argued. Eventually, the night ended with Heather reluctantly accepting Dagur, even if she still didn't trust him. And Neha had to admit, she rolled more with Heather in this situation. As much as Neha may have wanted to believe that Dagur had changed for the better, it was almost impossible to.

She and Hiccup were talking in the club house entrance after everyone else had gone to sleep. "And you're gonna let him sleep in the same hut as you?" She asked in awe.

"I am," Hiccup responded, "look, I know you're uncomfortable with this; we all are, trust me. But we have to start somewhere if we want him to be our friend."

Neha averted her gaze and sighed, "I know.."

There was a moment of silence before a voice came from behind Hiccup, "I don't recognize you." Dagur was walking their way, looking to Neha with curious yet kind eyes.

Neha didn't answer, but only searched his face for deception. There was none. His patchy beard and ragged hair were a handsome red color, complimenting his forest green eyes beautifully. For a moment, she thought she felt herself blush. "Neha's a new recruit," Hiccup answered the older man.

Dagur smiled in admiration at the girl; she was unlike anyone he'd ever seen. On Berk there were people of all colors, shapes, and sizes, so the other riders didn't think much of the fact that her skin was darker than theirs. But on Berserker Island, there was no one such a beautiful broze-brown color. The moonlight reflected in her deep brown eyes, making them sparkle. Realizing that he was staring, Dagur cleared his throat and looked away quickly.

Giving him an odd look, Hiccup raised an eyebrow and asked, "are..you okay?"

"What? Of course," Dagur answered in a rushed tone before meeting Neha's eyes again, "it's nice to meet you."

Neha still wasn't sure about him, but she could tell he was trying to be good, so she shot him a small smile, "and you."

Dagur's grin faded and he averted his gaze again, rubbing the back of his neck as he spoke awkwardly, "oh, and sorry if I've ever, uh..shot at you, or anything....yeah..sorry."

Hiccup was quite entertained by Dagur's fluster and watched Neha curiously to see how she would respond. "Um, I don't think you have, so don't worry about it," she grinned in amusement. Perhaps he'd become a good friend.

• • •

A year had passed since Neha and Dagur's meeting. Krogan had finally been defeated, and the dragon riders were packing up their things to go back to Berk for good. Dagur and Heather had stopped by as well, for one last good-bye to the old base. But Dagur had another reason for coming back as well.

Over the past year, Dagur had done everything he could think of to earn Neha's trust and friendship. And although he succeeded in this after just a few months, he always felt like it wasn't enough. Finally figuring out why that was made his heart pound; Dagur had come to ask Neha to return to Berserker Island with him.

"Heather, Dagur," Hiccup greeted with a grin.

"Brother!" Dagur grabbed Hiccup and hugged him roughly. When he let him go, his face turned somewhat serious, "I need to speak with Neha; is she around?"

Hiccup smirked a bit. He'd picked up on Dagur's feelings for the beautiful dragon rider before Dagur even knew they were there. "Check the stables, I think she's feeding Ustara," Hiccup told him.

The Berserker Chief quickly made his way down to see her. Upon entering the stables, he was greeted by Neha, "hey, Dagur. What brings you here?"

"Neha, hey," Dagur spoke back with an almost nervous smile. "Actually, I was wondering," he began, adverting his gaze for a moment, "where are you gonna go now?"

Neha smiled to herself as she guessed what was about to happen. Throwing a fish up for Ustara to catch, she responded casually, "I was thinking Berk...but I'm open to suggestions."

"Really?" Dagur grinned excitedly, "how about Berserker Island? It's a beautiful place, really, so you'd fit their perfectly." The words left his mouth with a confidence that he hadn't even expected of himself. Face immediately going red, he turned away again.

But after a moment, he felt something soft on his cheek; Neha had kissed him. With wide eyes, he turned back to her smiling face. "Berserker Island, huh?" She asked with an amused grin, "I'll give it a shot."

Dagur felt his heart flutter with excitement. He took her hand gently into his own and smiled; this would be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.