Black as Night (Viggo X Reader)

Requested by: Faemiddia

RTTE S6

Viggo watched Hiccup run away from the hunters that rushed forward. With the skrill at his side, Viggo glared at the incoming men and readied his sword. Pain surged through his back where four arrows were firmly bedded; he knew this would be his last stand.

The skrill roared and lightning began to concentration around her mouth. But before the skrill could set the entire room ablaze with lightning, someone grabbed Viggo by the arm and yanked him speedily out of harms way. He was then pulled down a dark hallway. "I told you to leave me, Hiccup," Viggo growled, assuming the young dragon rider had come back for him, "you cannot save me--"

"Will you shut up?" An unexpected voice hissed from his savior (you), "you'll get us both killed."

Viggo was shocked silent for a moment, then whispered, "who are you?" When you both snuck by a hallway lit by torches, he caught a glimpse of your face. Your nose and mouth were covered by a black cloth, and a black hood concealed your head. In fact, everything you wore was black.

Before long, you were outside and safe. You whistled, calling for your dragon, a young devilish dervish by the name Nightshade.

Viggo had so many questions

Viggo had so many questions. If you were a dragon rider, how come he'd never met you before? And how did you know to save him? But his consciousness was fading. He felt you swing him over the dragon's neck, black scales filling his vision. Then, you climbed on behind him. He felt you fidling with the arrows as Nightshade took flight, then everything was dark.

• • •

When Viggo woke, the crescent moon was high, stars dotting all around it. He wondered if he might've been in Valhalla, but your voice proved otherwise. "You're awake..good," You observed.

Viggo sat up, surprised to find minimal pain in his back. To his left laided a pile of broken arrows, and to his right sat you. By the light of a small campfire, you sharpened your throwing knives on a sharpening stone. Your eyes were glued to your project, avoiding Viggo.

"Thank you.." Viggo spoke in both awe and suspicion. But when you met his eyes, he couldn't hold back his nervousness. Big black orbs stared into his dark brown ones.

"Don't," you replied monotonously, then went back to sharpening your weapons. Before long, lightning struck a tree right beside you. Viggo was shocked that you didn't even flinch, you simply looked up and smirked, "your ride is here."

Viggo followed your gaze to find the skrill from before flying down towards them. He couldn't help but smile; it felt good to have earned the loyalty of such a fantastic dragon. When she landed, he pet her jaw gently. She purred softly and closed her eyes, relieved that her new friend was safe.

However, Viggo frowned when he saw you mount Nightshade and begin to take off. "Wait, where are you going?" He asked on a rush.

You looked over your shoulder and responded vaguely, "away."

"And what am I to do?" He questioned.

"You will find your own way," you told him, then you were gone.

But Viggo had different plans for you. He was infatuated by your mystery and beauty. So he mounted the skrill and followed you. Noticing this, you rolled your eyes and just kept going, ignoring his presence. It wasn't long before the sun threatened to peak over the horizon, and you landed on a rock island. "Cave, Nightshade," you cooed to your dragon almost desperately, "find us a cave."

After finding a cave, you and Nightshade settled down. It wasn't long before Viggo and the skrill entered after you. Viggo seemed back to his usual crafty self, trying to figure you out. "Devilish dervish aren't nocturnal," he stated, clasping his hands behind his back.

"This one is," you told him.

But Viggo knew better, "possibly, because she follows your sleeping pattern?"

You squinted your dark eyes at the man, unable to deny your growing interest in him. "..I'm allergic to the sunlight, the night is my freedom," you explained as he came to sit beside you while you and Nightshade made a fire.

"That's interesting," Viggo admitted with a charming grin, "and I'm guessing that's why your pupils are so large?" You didn't answer, not wanting to create a bond with him. Too many times had you lost the people you loved, so you'd chosen a life of seclusion. "Which would make you an excellent hunter in the night," Viggo went on, obviously impressed with you.

"Why are you still here?" You finally demanded.

Viggo frowned and looked away from your harsh stare. "Because I've nowhere to go, no one to confide in," he spoke coldly, "I've lost everything I ever believed good in life."

You heart clenched; he was just like you, alone and unsure. You sighed and finally removed your hood and mask. "(Y/n)," you spoke softly, "that is my name."

Viggo couldn't look away from you. He took in every detail of your face and hair, painting a mental portrait. "(Y/n).." He repeated with a smile, "it is so very nice, to formally meet you."

You turned your head away as you smiled a bit. Clearing your throat, you stood. "You're going to need different clothes if you want to travel with me," you informed him, "black, like the night...we can find you some when the moon rises."

Viggo stood as well. When you turned back to look at him, you found yourself only inches away from him. Unable to back away, you gazed into his eyes, and that was it; a bond had been made. There was no turning back now. "It is, not easy work..what I do," you told him, trying to keep tour cool.

But under Viggo's charming gaze, you felt soft. "I'm sure it's nothing I cannot adapt to," he assured you softly. Then, for the first time, he witnessed the beauty that was your smile.

-------

I'm writing a full story based around this one shot!

The Gray Area - A Viggo Love Story (HTTYD/RTTE)

For those who wanted more of this, check it on out! It's published on my profile now! ♡