Protection (Ryker X Reader)

RTTE S2

You were born into the dragon hunting tribe the same year as Viggo. Most of the time, woman didn't get too heavily involved with the actual hunting of dragons, but you were different. Ever since you were a teen-ager, you'd had a crush on Ryker. He was strong, both physically and emotionally, and he was one of the only one's who'd listen to you. So when you were of age, you decided to join the hunt with him and his younger brother.

But you soon realized that business was becoming more important than friendship. And before you knew it, Ryker began to treat you like any of the other soldiers. While he still had more respect for you, being the only woman in the field, he seemed to dismiss you as only a fellow hunter now.

But after years of this, you're feelings for him did not fade. And it was becoming a problem.

"Ryker, you said that I could come on this mission," you growled at him in frustration.

"I did," Ryker confirmed calmly, "and now I'm saying 'no'."

Fights sprouted between the two of you quite often these days, now with the stress of the dragon riders to deal with. "Why? You know I'm one of the best in combat, you know I could help," you raised your voice.

Ryker turned away from you, trying not to get angry and snap. "Because I said so," he spoke through gritted teeth, "and since you work for me, you'll obey this order; you're staying behind."

You felt your heart shatter. Your eyes threatened to spill with tears, but you held your strength. "You know, you used to be my friend," you told him in a quiet, venomous voice, "now your just heartless."

Ryker turned toward you in astonishment, but you were already storming off to your tent. He sighed in frustration with himself; did you really think he wasn't your friend anymore? Was he really being as cold as you'd accused.

"Smooth," a voice came from behind him. Ryker turned to find Viggo walking his way.

Ryker glared at him and began to leave. "I don't wanna hear it."

But Viggo was persistant. "But I'm curious," he began, catching up with his brother, "why is it that you've been neglacting (Y/n) so much lately?"

Ryker didn't answer, which only made Viggo grin. "Ah," he spoke in observation, "you're trying to keep you emotions at bay." The older brother shot him a death glare, but Viggo went on as if it were nothing, "I can't blame you; love surely can cloud the mind, yes?"

Ryker stopped walking and looked down at his brother, fury in his eyes, "what, do you want, Viggo?"

Viggo rolled his eyes. "Clearly, you're not seeing what's going on around you," Viggo told him with a sigh, "that woman loves you." Ryker's eyes widened as Viggo continued, "I've been watching her watch you for years. She wants to prove that she's good enough for you."

Realizing what he'd just done, Ryker frowned. Without even acknowledging his brother, he raced off to find you. He made his way to you tent and stopped abruptly. Hesitantly, he spoke, "(Y/n), are you in in there?"

You sat silently on you bed in your tent, hoping Ryker would just go away. You didn't want him to see how you cried when you were alone. But your silence seemed only to trigger his entrance. You turned you face away from him and tried to steady your voice, "go away, Ryker."

Ryker's heart clenched in guilt and sorrow. He walked over to you with caution, taking a seat at your side. Noticing the tear stains on the front of your shirt only made him feel even worse. He'd never thought of you as one to cry; how many times had he push you to this point?

"(Y/n), I've come to apologize," he spoke in a soft tone, one you hadn't heard since before the hunting business had taken over your lives.

"Why?" You asked, still hiding your face from him.

"Because I've been a jerk these past few months," he admitted. "Truth is," he began with a sigh, "these mission..are becoming more and more dangerous....I don't want you getting hurt."

You were caught by surprise at this sudden recogntion Ryker was having to the situation. You were even more surprised when you felt his hand slide into one of yours. Finally, you couldn't help but meet his eyes. They were kind, meaningful, and friendly, just like when you were both younger.

"I've got feelings for you, (Y/n)," he finally said, his voice heavy with emotion, "I just don't want to put you in danger."

You couldn't believe your ears. Staring into his dark eyes, you tried to find the words to say. As you thought desperately, Ryker reached his other hand to your face, wiping away you tears. "And the last thing I want, is to be the reason you cry," he finished.

A small smile pulled at your lips and you leaned your cheek into his touch. Ryker smiled when he saw you cheering up. "There we go," he soothed, "that's what I like to see." He then leaned forward and placed a kiss on your forehead.

Your heart fluttered like never before. And when he pulled away, your strength and confidence was redeemed. With a crooked grin, you took the front if his vest in your free hand and yanked him into a full kiss. Your lips collided with powerful bliss. Finally, after years of uncertainty, you were sure. Ryker loved you, and you loved him. As long as you were together, everything would be okay.