Try, Try Again (Tuffnut X Reader)

After HTTYD 2

You had known the riders all of your life. Astrid became your best friend when the two of you were still just toddlers. Now, being twenty years old, your friendship was as strong as ever. The only thing that seemed to change within the group of seven was your feelings for a certain nut.

Before you became an adult, you'd always found Tuffnut obnoxious and annoying. But you managed to put up with him, since he was your friend. However, slowly, you began to admire his crazy personality and spontaneity. But there was no way you'd let anyone know about that. Figuring it was just some weird phase, you often just pushed the worry from your mind.

Tuffnut, however, had always had a crush on you. Secretly, of course. And behind all of his pranks, disasters, and creations, Tuff was always trying to impress you. He never gave up on you; every time you rolled your eyes or pushed him over, he decided to try something different the next time.

But now, he was twenty-one, and his ideas were running out. Finally, it was time for him to ask someone for advice. Who better to ask than your best friend?

"Hey, uh, Astrid?" He began awkwardly one morning as she was feeding Stormfly. "Theoretically, how would one get a female person..to enjoy one's company..preferably without using force?"

Astrid turned to look at him, one eyebrow raised in confusion. "For you?" She specified, then shook her head with a teasing laugh, "no chance."

"Ugh, come on, I'm serious," Tuff begged.

"I thought this was theoretical?" The blond girl responded slyly.

Tuffnut sighed in defeat, "alright, fine, so there's a girl, big deal..now tell me all of your secrets."

Crossing her arms and rolling her eyes, Astrid began to explain. "Well, you should try to appeal to her," she began, "be upfront, ask her to do something that you know she'll enjoy."

The conversation went on for much longer than Astrid had hoped. Eventually, she had to end it. "Listen, Tuff, just be yourself," she concluded, trying to look like she still cared, "and if she likes you, she likes you."

"Yes, sir!" Tuffnut soluted dramatically. He was gone in the blink of an eye, leaving Astrid to sigh in relief.

• • •

"Hey, (Y/n)," you heard Tuff call your name. The sun was just beginning to set on this same day.

You turned around to meet him with a somewhat shy smile. "Hi, Tuff," you greeted back, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear.

Tuffnut recalled how Astrid had told him to be upfront, and took a deep breath. Shooting you a charming grin, he told you, "I've got something for you. But it's on a sea stack on the opposite side if the island."

Your curiousity was immediately heightened, and Tuffnut knew he'd succeeded in the first step. "What is it?" You wondered, even though you knew he wasn't going to tell you.

"You'll see," he responded, pausing to call for Barf and Belch. When the dragon arrived, you climbed onto Barf, and Tuff onto Belch. "I think you're gonna like it," Tuffnut finished before taking off.

After being in the air for a while, you spotted some sort of contraption on a rather large sea stack. The dragon landed so that you were facing away from it. You and Tuffnut both got down, but your eyes were immediately shielded by his hand.

"Tuffnut," you whined in annoyance.

"It's a surprise, just trust me," his voice sounded soft and close, making your cheeks dust over pink. You felt his other hand rest on your shoulder blade, and he began to lead you forward. Within the minute, you stopped and Tuffnut removed his hand from over your eyes.

 Within the minute, you stopped and Tuffnut removed his hand from over your eyes

⇧ similar to this

The scene before you made you gasp in awe. Sheets tied up into a huge open tent, fireworm lanterns lighting up the whole sea stack, and yak fur pillows and blankets to sit on.

"Did you make this?" You asked him in disbelief, walking over to the carefully constructed work.

Tuffnut smiled, "I've been working on it all day. Do you like it?"

"Tuff..I love it!" You exclaimed, sitting yourself down on the yak fur carpeted ground. With a sigh of relief, Tuff sat beside you. "What's this all for? Is there a special occasion?" You wondered, hoping to Odin you hadn't forgotten an important date.

Tuffnut glanced down at his hands as he fidgetted them in his lap. "Not really, just," he hesitated for a moment before finishing, "just you."

You felt your heart leap in joy. "I've been trying for a while now," he continued with an awkward smile, "I'm just glad I finally did something you like."

"All of that, was trying to impress me?" You asked in surprise, thinking back to all of the times he'd pranked you. With an amused grin, you took one of Tuff's hands. "You know, it's not just the tent that I like," you told him, looking around you with a grin, "this wouldn't be so enjoyable without you here."

Finally, Tuffnut met your eyes, his own baby blues reflecting a look of hope and surprise. "Woah, you really mean that?" He asked, a smile pulled at the corners of his mouth.

When you nodded, the handsome viking wrapped you into a warm hug. And when he let you go, the date really began. The two of you talked all night, eating the food that Tuff had brought. You sat together and made shapes in the stars, the talking slowly fading until there was no more. You had fallen asleep in the tent, hand clasped firmly with Tuffnut's.