Prison Break (Ruffnut X Reader)

♀️ X ♀️

(D/n) - dragon name
(d/s) - dragon species

HTTYD 3

It had been days since your last meal. Being a prisoner to Grimmel the Grisly was definitely not a dream come true. His plan was to starve you until you gave up information on the location of New Berk, or until you died.

The problem was, you had no idea where New Berk was, or even what it was. You were travelling with your dragon companion, a (d/s) named (D/n), when you came across an island of chaos and destruction. Curious, you'd landed to check things out. However, what you found was a nasty group of dragon hunters who took you and your dragon captive. You were simply in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Your daydreams of your next meals were interrupted by another female voice. "Hey, watch it, pal," you saw a young woman in dragon scales being dragged into the cell beside yours. "Do you have any idea how long it takes me to tame this hair?" She threatened one of the two men who held her.

There was the sound of metal squeaking, followed by a loud slam of a cell door. "Well then," she scoffed quietly. Then, noticing you through the cracks on the crumbled stone wall that separated your cells, she raised an eyebrow, "so, what are you in for?"

You hesitated for a moment. But you figured that if the girl was an enemy of Grimmel as well, she could be trusted. "They want information from me," you told her, "information that I don't have."

"Well, that must suck," the woman spoke with a small laugh. You were quite surprised at this; how was she so calm about being a prisoner? "I'm Ruffnut," she introduced, shooting you a wink and a crooked grin, "call me Ruff."

You felt you face heat up under her confident gaze. Smiling shyly, you responded, "(Y/n).."

Just then, Grimmel entered the room and sat down at his desk. Getting an idea, Ruff smiled deviously. She then proceeded to ramble on about herself in order to annoy the hunter.

You couldn't hold back your amused grin at Grimmel's dwindling patience. After a while, he broke down and set her free. "Please, just go," he ordered with a stressed sigh.

However, Ruff leaned lazily against the stone wall next to the door of you cell. Popping a hip out and examining her nails, she sighed, "actually, on second thought, I think I'll stick back. You know, hang with this hot thing for a bit."

When she pointed toward you with her thumb, you felt your heartbeat pick up speed. Hot thing? How could she be so open about something like that? Not that you minded. You were already growing attatched to the dragon rider. She was funny, beautiful, and clever in a very unique way.

Grimmel's eyes widened, "no, gods, no." He gave Ruff a glare and finally unlocked your cell door as well, "fine, take her with you, just please, leave."

Ruffnut smiled devilishly. As you exited the cell, Grimmel released (D/n). The dragon hopped happily over to you and licked you. You giggled and hugged his/her head, "I know, it's good to be back together again. Now let's go."

You climbed onto the (d/s), Ruff taking a seat behind you, then took off. Once you were safely in the air, you breathed a sigh of relief, "hey, thanks for getting me outta there."

"It was nothing," Ruff responded coolly, her hands holding your waist for balance.

Trying to keep your cool, you asked, "so, which way is this 'New Berk'?"

"Should be straight ahead from here," Ruff responded.

"Alright, then we'd better take a detour," you told her, steering (D/n)  in a different direction, "those hunters are bound to follow us; we need to lose them."

Ruffnut grinned at you, obviously impressed. And so after you were sure you'd lost the hunters, you made your way to New Berk with Ruffnut.

• • •

"And they just let you guys go?" Hiccup asked in wonder.

"All thanks to Ruff," you responded, "she talked old Grimmel's ears right off."

"Awe, stop it," Ruff rolled her eyes and smiled sweetly, then added proudly, "but, yeah, it was basically all me."

You laughed and looked toward her at your side. She was taller by a couple inches, and even more beautiful in the light of the setting sun. And when she caught you staring, she only grinned knowingly. Taking your hand into hers, she pulled you away from the crowd of dragon riders until it was just the two of you.

"You know, you're a pretty good flier, and smart," Ruff complimented you with a sly grin. She paused to give you a devious smiled, "I like that."

You smirked up at her with a sideways glance. Ruff was so confident and cool with everything; you wanted to see what she looked like taken by surprise. So, still holding her hand, you yanked her downward. "Hey, what was that fo--" she began to complain, but was stopped by you mouth landing onto hers.

Her eyes went wide with shock. When you pulled away, you saw a glimpse of this surprise and smiled in satisfaction. You then let go of her hand and flipped your hair as you turned to walk away, "see ya 'round, Ruff."

Ruffnut did everything in her power to keep cool, but it was no use. She melted as she watched you waltz away. One thing was certain, though; she was going to enjoy having you on New Berk now.