After All This Time Pt. 3 (Dagur X Reader)

Requested by: kawaii_chans_sister

(D/n) - dragon name
(d/s) - dragon species

After HTTYD 2

Today was the day. The big annual dragon racing finale. All of the work you and your dragon had put in for the past few months was finally going to pay off. After numerous smaller weekly races, winning some and losing others, this would be the one to trump them all.

You were in the stables with (D/n) preparing, along with Astrid and Stormfly. "I'm just saying," Astrid stated suggestively with a smirk, "Hiccup's won the most so far."

"But that doesn't mean he'll win this one," you argued energetically as you swiped elegant lines of purple racing paint across your (d/s) wing. "We'll show him," you spoke to the dragon encouragingly, "won't we, girl/boy."

(D/n) stomped once and huffed as if to agree to the challenge. "Hey, I'm all for getting you brother off the top," Astrid added with a laugh.

You turned to her and suggested slyly, "then how about a pact? Let's do this together." You held out your hand.

Astrid grinned and took you by the forearm, allowing you to do the same to her. "I'm in," she agreed.

Once you released each other, you began to pain your face. It wasn't long after you finished that you heard a familiar voice call from the entrance to the large stable building, "you know, I always knew purple was (D/n)'s color."

You whipped around to see Dagur and Sleuther walking over to you. Racing over to meet him half way, you threw your arms around him. "Dagur!" You shouted happily. He laughed and hugged you back just as tightly. You pulled your head back just enough to be able to attack him into a kiss. Dagur couldn't help smiling at your joy to see him.

When you pulled away, however, your eyes widened. "Oh, whoops," you muttered sheepishly.

Confused, Dagur glanced down into a water troft beside the two of you. In his reflection he saw that some of your purple paint had been stamped onto his face around his mouth and on one cheek. He laughed wildly. But when you went to try and wipe it off for him, he stopped you, grabbing your hand lovingly. "It's alright," he insisted, "I wanna leave it."

Your face reddened as you reminded, "but then everyone will know I kissed you."

Dagur only grinned and pecked your lips. Then, he added quietly, "good." You laughed shyly as your face grew even more red. "You're so cute when you get embarrassed," Dagur cooed teasingly.

"H-hey," you stuttered, punching him playfully in the arm.

"Dagur, I see you decided to show some spirit for (Y/n)," Astrid observed with a smirk as she came over, refering to the purple paint on his face.

"Astrid, it's good to see you," Dagur greeted with a grin, "I can't wait to see this go down; I've never been to a dragon race before."

"Well, it can get a little messy," you admitted with a laugh. Then, a gong sounded loudly from the arena. Your eyes brightened in determination. "It's time, come on!" And so you, Astrid, and Dagur made your way to the starting point.

• • •

The crowds of Berkians packed around the arena cheered as you tossed a sheep into your basket. "Woo!  That's my girl!" You heard Dagur yelling over all of the other voices, "you're doing amazing, my love!"

You chuckled to youself as you flew past on (D/n). Then, the black sheep was shot into the air. "Come on, (D/n)!" You shouted. You dragon squawked loudly and sped up, heading straight for the winning sheep. But just before you could get there, Hiccup came out of nowhere on Toothless and snatched it away. "What?!" You exclaimed.

"Better luck next time, (Y/n)!" Hiccup teased before flying off.

"Oh no you don't," you muttered as your (d/s) took off after him. Before long, Astrid came up beside you on Stormfly. The two of you shared a determined grin.

You sped up even more coming right up next to Toothless. You knew that you couldn't get a hold of that black sheep from your position, so you had (D/n) swipe his/her wing right under the night fury's. The sudden change in air preasure caused the dragon to falter only for a moment, but enough for Hiccup to drop the sheep, allowing it to fall right to Astrid.

"Yeah!" You shouted in triumph.

"Wha--you're working together?" Hiccup wondered in disbelief.

"Better luck next time, Chief," you repeated to him tauntingly, then laughed as you flew off to make sure no one could get in Stormfly's way. And within seconds, the black sheep was in Astrid's basket.

The Vikings shouted their joy as Astrid landed Stormfly just outside of the arena. You took (D/n) down and landed beside her. Hopping out of the saddle, you jogged over to Astrid. The two of you bumped wrist guards and laughed as Hiccup landed as well. "Well played, you two," he complimented with a sideways grin.

"Are you kidding?" Snotlout demanded as he landed Hookfang, "they totally cheated!"

"Hey, working together isn't against the rules," you reminded him.

Just then, you spotted Dagur walking your way. You smiled brightly and brought him into a hug. "How was it?" You asked, eager to hear how he liked the new Berkian tradition.

"Not exactly what I was expecting," he admitted with a small chuckle, "but no less exciting." He then took you by the hand and began to run away from the swarm of Vikings. Once you were alone just outside the woods, he stopped.

"Dagur, what's this all about?" You asked with a laugh.

With sparkling eyes he took both of your hands into his. "I want you to come back to Berserker Island with me," he stated suddenly with a wide smile, adding to clarify, "for good."

Your smile faded into a serious look. "Oh, I'd love to..but Hiccup.." you trailed off at the thought of leaving your brother.

"I already talked to him about it," Dagur assured, "he thinks it would be good for both of us, for our relationship." You smiled as Dagur went on excitedly, "(Y/n), I want to get married. It doesn't have to be now or even this year, and I know we only just started this six months ago, but it's felt like a life time. I love you, (Y/n), and I always will."

Your heart almost stopped at his suggestion. Get married? He was right that the two of you had only been dating for a short while, but you couldn't deny your excitement. It felt right. So you nodded joyously. "Okay, yes, alright," you rambled with a laugh.

"Yes?" Dagur asked hopefully as if to ask for clarity.

"Yes!" You affirmed, throwing your arms around him and pulling him down into a kiss. You kissed him with everything you had, not holding back a drop of your affection. You may not have won the dragon race that day, but you still felt like a winner. The next day, you and Dagur left for Berserker Island as betrotheds.