I'm Sure This is Killing me

Jack looked up at Elsa. His face was expressionless, Elsa couldn't read him. It killed her to see him. He pretended like he didn't know her. For a while they just stared at each other before Jack spoke, "What can I get for you?"

It broke her heart.

"Um, I, uh..."

"She'll have a chocolate shake. I'd like a fudge sundae." Anna spoke up for her. Elsa was thankful.

"And I'll have a strawberry smoothie," Kristoff said as he laid out money on the counter.

"I can pay," Anna offered.

"I've got this one," he smiled at her and Elsa was happy for Anna. Kristoff was so sweet and the way he smiled at her proved he cared about her.

"Okay, come on, Elsa. Let's find a booth."

"Okay," she answered quietly.

❄❄❄

Jack looked up as the bell to the door rang. He was shocked to see Elsa. He tried not to show the longing in his eyes. He kept his face as unreadable as possible as she came closer. "What can I get for you," he was surprised his voice didn't crack.

She couldn't quite get out a reply, and her sister answered for her. "A chocolate shake and a fudge sundae." The guy with them ordered and offered to pay, then the girls went to find a booth.

The guy didn't look Jack in the eye after Jack told him the price.

"You're being a real jerk you know," he said.

"Excuse me?" Jack was taken aback that this guy had said something.

"I said you're being a real Jerk!" He looked up at Jack, though Jack was definitely shorter.

"How am I being the jerk? She's the one who lets that Hans near her all the time!"

"You're the one that's brushing her off!"

"Here's your change, sir. Have a nice day."

"Cut it out. You're killing her right now. Man up and apologize!" He left to the booth the girls chose.

❄❄❄

Elsa sat in her booth and didn't even look at Jack when he brought them their ice cream. She ate her shake silently as Anna talked to Kristoff about some summer dance or something. They didn't leave soon enough. Elsa left a dollar coin on the table for a tip.

❄❄❄

"Well, since he's not at his house, what do you guys want to do?" Anna asked.

Kristoff shrugged.

"We could go home." Elsa said.

"No, we are not going home. Hmm, there's the beach, or the park. I heard there was a mall downtown."

"No mall," Elsa answered.

"I agree with your sister on that one," Kristoff added.

"Okay, that leaves the beach and the park. Any opinions?"

"Park." Kristoff said.

Elsa nodded.

❄❄❄

When Jack served the ice cream, he tried to make eye contact with Elsa. She didn't look up at him once. He pretended it didn't hurt him though his heart was burning to ashes.

When they left, he found a dollar coin on their table. He stared at it for a long time before putting it in his pocket.

❄❄❄

Kristoff drove to the park which was surprisingly empty. Anna pulled out a blanket from the trunk and lay it out on the grass. They all laid down on the blanket. Elsa felt like she shouldn't be there. Anna and Kristoff were talking and laughing, while Elsa sat on the edge silently.

Eventually she went to the swing set and sat in a swing. Gently rocking back and forth, she wondered if it was over with Jack. If he wasn't going to talk to her, what was the point?

As if to second that thought, a crack of thunder rolled through the sky and it started drizzling. Great.

Elsa, Kristoff and Anna made a mad dash for the car. Kristoff fumbled with his keys to get the door unlocked. By now they were in a downpour. When they finally got in the car, they were drenched.

Anna face palmed. "I checked the weather for Norway instead of Burgess."

"We all would have made that mistake," Kristoff comforted.

"I'm so sorry, Elsa. This day was suppose to be better for you." Anna faced Elsa from the passenger seat with a concerned expression.

"It's alright, Anna, really. I had some fun anyway," she stretched the truth.

"I guess we'd better head home. The storm looks like it'll head there," Kristoff said, watching the weather on his phone.

"Yeah, I guess," Anna answered.

❄❄❄

It rained. A lot. Through the rest of Wednesday and into Thursday, the rain was none stop. The weather said it would probably end mid-Friday, but that seemed too far away.

It was 10:00 at the Arendelle house. Elsa passed hot cocoa to her sister and stirred her own cup.

"Thanks," Anna said.

A few moments of silence passed and all that was heard was the steady patter of the rain.

Elsa sipped her hot chocolate.

"Has he called you back?" Anna asked, trying to make conversation.

Elsa shook her head.

"He will."

"How do you know?" Elsa said halfheartedly.

"I just know. It's a gift."

"Are you some sort of love expert?"

"I'd like to consider myself as such."

Elsa giggled.

Anna smiled, happy she could make her sister laugh.

The moment passed, though, when they heard a car pull up right outside.