A Consuming Fire

Inspiration 40

Hebrews 12:29 NASB

For our God is a consuming fire.

This verse is very fascinating to me. As I was reading J.I. Packer’s book, God Has Spoken, he revealed something that makes me think every time I pull out my Bible, whether that’s on my cell phone or my Kindle Fire. I definitely don’t look at using the Bible the same. He said, “The bible will not reveal its secrets to the irreverent and censorious.”

In this sentence, a treasure was unlocked to me. The word irreverent means, “not entertaining or manifesting due regard to the Supreme Being.”Censorious means “severely hypocritical of.” When we see the Bible as the very words from God, we begin to look at the contents of it drastically differently. Most of the time, people see the Bible as just some history book or book that outlines a particular religion; but, the Bible is so much more than that. The Bible reveals to us the God of the universe, His personality, His desires, His will, and His position on everything in this world. I am mesmerized and humbled when I think: I have in my possession the very words of God on my cell phone, in four or five different versions or translations in hard or paperback copies, on my kindle fire, on CD’s of teachings, etc. It’s everywhere.

But here’s the kicker. This is what the Holy Spirit inspired to me. The word of God is alive. It sees who is reading its words. It carries the very Spirit of God. The writer of Hebrews put it this way, “For the word of God is alive and powerful” (NLT). The word of God is the Bible; it’s the very place that God’s words are housed. Get a revelation of that Scripture. The Book we hold in our hands every day, if not every day, at least every Wednesday and Sunday, is ALIVE! Not only is it alive, but it’s powerful. God has preserved His words, in this Book, for every generation. They’ve not changed and they are still just as powerful as they were when they were originally spoken. Therefore, when you hold that Book in your hand it’s nothing to play with. If you try to speak against it and discredit it in any way (to be irreverent and censorious), Hebrews 4:12 goes on to say: “His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen [to it] and obey [it]” (MSG, my insertions).

Therefore, the Word of God has a twofold consuming fire reaction to it. One, it can either, for those who are listening and obeying it, become a fire that burns you up with joy and heart peace so much you can’t contain yourself. You are provoked to speak of Him, to constantly keep His Name and praise on your lips. Just like Jeremiah in Jeremiah 20:9 (NASB), “But if I say, ‘I will not remember Him Or speak anymore in His name,’ Then in my heart it [the Word] becomes like a burning fire Shut up in my bones; And I am weary of holding it in, And I cannot endure it.” Two, for the irreverent or censorious, the word of God can become a fire that singes you up instead and leaves you to nothingness.

Reverence the word of God and it will consume you and set you ablaze and be “lamp unto [your] feet and light unto [your] path” (Psalm 119:105).