Chapter 18: Cover's Blown

I mentally cursed. This isn't how I wanted things to go down. I placed my hands in the air as I slowly approached him. "Anakin, I know this doesn't look good, but-"

Anakin immediately cut me off as he raised his voice. "But what? You lied to me, to the Republic, to the Jedi, and most importantly to Obi-Wan. He spend years trying to find you, and once he did, he believed there was good in you. He persisted to make sure you saw the truth. He...he cares for you, Iretia. He may have had feelings for the Duchess in the past, but it's not hard to see how he looks at you when he thinks no one is watching. You have his heart, Iretia...and you're going to crush him."

I couldn't believe his words. I shook my head. "No, no, no. Obi-Wan cares for me, but not in that way...he could never love me."

"Open your eyes, Iretia!" Anakin exclaimed. "He's only got eyes for you."

Could it be? Could Anakin be right? Did Obi-Wan love me?

"As touching as this whole thing is, we have places to go." Asajj commented, interrupting our conversation.

Asajj then ran out into the hallway, leaving me no choice but to follow her. I reluctantly joined Asajj as we fought against Anakin. We continued to fight as we managed to get onto one of the bridges. Asajj was knocked to the ground, but as she fell, I lowered my lightsabers. "Ani, please listen to me. I didn't want things to go down like this."

Anakin raised an eyebrow. "And how did you want things to go down? For us to never find out? And you continue to live out this lie?!"

"No I swear I was going to say the truth...I was just waiting for the right time." I explained.

Anakin scoffed. "The right time? Yeah, probably to strike and kill us all."

Before I could say anything, Anakin used the Force to grab the DNA vial from me. "I don't want to hear any more lies, Iretia."

Asajj then managed to knock him to the ground. And just as Asajj was about to grab the vial, a clone trooper grabbed it first. We then looked around to find ourselves surrounded with clone troopers. Asajj looked over at Anakin with a grin. "I suppose you expect us to surrender."

Anakin narrowed his eyes at her. "Actually I plan to let the clones execute you right now."

"Not this time." Asajj shot back.

She then used the Force to push back the clone troopers before running towards the small ship where Grievous was. I was about to follow her as my identity was now compromised, so sticking around would be pure suicide. However I felt something pull me back. I whipped around to see Anakin, grabbing my arm before knocking me to the ground. At that moment, Master Ti and Obi-Wan approached us. 

Obi-Wan sighed in relief when he saw me. "Iretia, there you are. I've been looking for you. Where in the blazes have you been?"

"She was helping Asajj steal the DNA." Anakin revealed.

"Please, I can explain...it isn't what it seems." I insisted. "Allow me to explain, Obi-Wan."

At Anakin's words, I saw Obi-Wan's face fall. I swore I thought I saw pain in those blue eyes of his. Obi-Wan spoke, trying to keep his emotions in check, however his voice broke. "...How could you, Iretia? After everything the Jedi Order did for you....after everything I did for you. And this is how you repay me?"

I had never felt so disappointed and heart broken in my life. As tears filled his eyes I lowered my head, feeling tears of my own, threatening to fall down my cheeks. I didn't bother resisting or even looking up when the clone troopers took me, no doubt to be imprisoned.

•••

Once we arrived at the Jedi Temple, I was taken before the Jedi Order to the Chamber of Judgment. My eyes scanned the room to find Obi-Wan. His eyes met mine for a brief moment before he averted his gaze, looking towards the ground. My shoulders slumped as I bowed my head. I was then lifted up on a round pedestal.

"Padawan Iretia Emestre, serious charges have been levied against you." Master Ti informed me.

"How plead you?" Master Yoda asked.

I had to say the truth. With tears in my eyes, I spoke. "Guilty, Master. I plead guilty."

"Do not take those words lightly." Master Koon warned.

"And I don't...I mean it, Masters. I admit that at first I had no choice, but to follow his lead as he took me as a kid, changing my memories." I confessed. "However as soon as I discovered the truth, I should've confessed..."

"Why exactly did you enter the Jedi Temple and become a padawan, Emetre?" Obi-Wan asked in a cold tone.

I winced at his words. I took a deep breath before looking at him. "It was meant as a mission. I was sent by my master to spy on the Jedi Order by pretending to become a Jedi."

"So you were never serious about becoming a Jedi?" Master Ti inquired.

"At first no, but as I spent more time with you all, the more I realized that I wanted to become a Jedi. For the first time in so many years, I had a place to call home." I confessed. "So, I'm sorry for lying to you, and betraying you."

I turned to look back at Obi-Wan. "However my friendship with all of you was no lie. It was all genuine, I truly mean it. I wished it was all so simple, but I couldn't leave it behind me...it's complicated."

"Was the Master who sent you, Count Dooku?" Master Windu asked.

I hesitated. "No...it was another Sith. He's goes by Sidious...Darth Sidious."

"Discuss this alone we must." Master Yoda informed me.

•••
Once they had reached a decision, I was called back into the chamber. As soon as I entered, Obi-Wan wouldn't even look in my direction, hurting me. Master Yoda then spoke, announcing the decision. "Reached a decision, we have, though not in total agreement are we."

"It is the Council's opinion that Padawan Iretia Emestre has committed sedition against the Republic, and thus, she will be expelled from the Jedi Order." Master Windu announced.

My heart dropped at his words. The Jedi guards approached me at once. One of them grabbed my arm, while the other grabbed my Padawan braid before ripping it out.

"Your Padawan status will be stripped from you, and you shall forfeit all rank and privileges within the Grand Army of the Republic." Master Koon added.

"You will be turned over to the Republic courts to await your trial and whatever punishment they will set for you. Henceforth, you are banned from the Jedi Order." Master Ti informed me.

Tears filled my eyes as I looked over at Obi-Wan. His eyes finally met mine. I thought I saw a tear fall down his cheeks. As the guards grabbed me, I kept my gaze on him, refusing to fight against them as I knew it was futile. I kept my eyes on Obi-Wan until I was completely out of the chambers, being dragged towards the Senate, where I would either be killed or imprisoned for life.