Chapter 36: The Assignment

The next day, we had the briefing in the communication center. Everyone including O-Mer was there, but there was no sign of Anakin anywhere. After the briefing was over, I turned off the holotable and all holograms. It was just Obi-Wan and me in the room. That's when Anakin rushed inside.

"You missed the report on the Outer Rim sieges." Obi-Wan mentioned. 

Anakin wore a sheepish look. "I'm sorry, I was held up. I have no excuse."

"In short, they are going very well. Saleucami has fallen, and Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pity." Obi-Wan explained. 

"What's wrong then?" Anakin questioned.

"The Senate is expected to vote more executive powers to the Chancellor today." I explained. 

"Well, that can only mean less deliberating and more action. Is that bad? It will make it easier for us to end this war." Anakin pointed out. 

"Be careful of your friend Palpatine." Obi-Wan warned. 

Anakin furrowed his brows. "Be careful of what?"

"He has requested your presence along with Iretia's." Obi-Wan mentioned. 

"What for?" Anakin inquired. 

"He would not say." Obi-Wan said. 

"He didn't inform the Jedi Council? That's unusual, isn't it?" Anakin stated. 

"All of this is unusual, and it's making me feel uneasy." Obi-Wan confessed. 

As we walked out of the room, Obi-Wan glanced over at me. I then heard his voice in my mind. "Does this have anything to do with the fact you're his granddaughter?"

I wore a sheepish smile. "...I don't know. Maybe?"

"Well we can't keep the Chancellor waiting. Come on, Anakin." I urged.

With that, Anakin and I went to the Senate Building, making our way into the Palpatine's office. Once we were inside Palpatine's office, Palpatine greeted us before getting straight into business. "I hope you both trust me."

Anakin nodded. "Of course."

I grimaced, but Palpatine gave me a warning look, forcing me to remain still. Palpatine then continued. "I need your help." 

"What do you mean?" Anakin questioned. 

"I'm depending on the both of you." Palpatine said.

"For what? I don't understand." Anakin replied.

"To be the eyes, ears, and voice of the Republic. Anakin, Iretia, I'm appointing you to be my personal representatives on the Jedi Council." Palpatine explained. 

I was baffled at his words. "Me? Anakin? Masters?"

A grin appeared on Palpatine's face. "I believe it suits you, my dear."

"I am overwhelmed, sir, but the Council elects its own members." Anakin mentioned.

"Anakin's right. They will never accept this." I commented. 

Palpatine placed a hand on my shoulder. "I think they will. They need you more than you know."

After talking to Palpatine, Anakin and I returned to the Jedi Temple, making our way to the Jedi Council chambers. Once we were inside, Anakin and I informed the Council of what Palpatine told us.

"Anakin Skywalker, Iretia Emestre, we have approved your appointment to the Council as the Chancellor's personal representative." Master Windu announced.