Chapter 27: Obi-Wan's Funeral

A week after Obi-Wan and I got married, we returned to Coruscant to resume our duties in the Jedi Order. Currently, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka, and I out in the underworld of Coruscant, when Obi-Wan informed us that the Jedi Council wanted us back. As we walked towards our shuttle, I was caught in my own thoughts, wondering how tell Obi-Wan that he was going to be a father.

"So what's the big rush?" Anakin inquired.     

"The Jedi Council has called an emergency meeting." Obi-Wan explained.  

Anakin groaned. "I can see it now. Another long, boring debate." 

"Would you rather they call you in to train younglings?" Ahsoka asked. 

"Are you crazy?" Anakin replied, letting out a chuckle. 

I snickered. "I wouldn't leave Anakin alone in a room of younglings." 

Before we could reach our shuttle, a blast fired down beside us, missing us by a few centimeters. Quickly, we hid behind the giant pile of crates beside the shuttle. As we hid, the blasts continued to hit the cargo.

"Any idea where that shot came from?" Obi-Wan asked. 

"A sniper. I see him up there!" Ahsoka informed us. 

"All right, here's the plan. Anakin, you flank him on the right." Obi-Wan advised. "Ahsoka, you cover the lower streets. I'm going after him."

"And I'm coming with you." I mentioned.

"No, you'll join Anakin." Obi-Wan protested. 

"But-" I began.

Obi-Wan's face softened. "Trust me."

I let out a sigh, knowing I wasn't going to win. "Fine."  

With that, the three of us ran out from the crates, and split up. Anakin and I jumped onto the building before running after the bounty hunter. Obi-Wan was close on his trail, however as we continued running after the bounty hunter, he suddenly disappeared. I couldn't see Obi-Wan anywhere either. I scanned the buildings in frustration. "We lost him." 

I immediately contacted Obi-Wan through my comlink. "Obi-Wan, do you have anything?"

As we searched the area, we saw Obi-Wan on the building across from us. We watched in horror as he took a blast to the arm before falling onto the street near Ahsoka. My eyes widened as I shouted out. "Obi-Wan!"

"I got him, go!" Ahsoka shouted out. 

"Go after him, I'm going to check Obi-Wan." I commented.

Anakin gave me a nod before running off. I hopped down from the building before running towards Obi-Wan. I picked him up at once, scooping him up into my arms. His eyes were still closed, making me worried. 

"Obi-Wan, please wake up." I urged. 

I checked his wrist to feel a pulse, but when I felt nothing, my heart shattered into a million pieces. Tears streamed down my cheeks. "He's gone..."

Ahsoka placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Iretia." 

It wasn't long until Anakin appeared. He had a worried look on his face as he approached us. "How is he?" 

Ahsoka and I remained silent, looking at Anakin with tears in our eyes. Anakin knelt down beside us before shouting out to Obi-Wan, trying to wake him up. "Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan!"

•••

How I wished this was all a nightmare, but it wasn't. Here I stood at Obi-Wan's funeral, standing beside Anakin. Satine, Padmé, Palpatine, Ahsoka, O-Mer, Master Koon, and many other Jedi were here. I stared at bed, which contained Obi-Wan's body that was covered with a white cloth. And I didn't even get the chance to tell him that I'm pregnant. I watched in silence as they lowered the body into a chamber, incinerating Obi-Wan's body. Just when I thought would get better.