Chapter 15

Marcus' POV:

A pit formed in my stomach as I stared down at the envelope that I just pulled from Lord Vanderwood's mailbox.

The same script 'B' that I had branded on the back of my thigh glaring up at me from the wax seal.

My pulse began to race as I tried to think of anyone else this could be from but found no other answer.

This letter was from Lord Bronwyn.

From what I knew back when I served him, Lord Bronwyn never sent a letter to another Lord let alone this one.

And as much as I wanted to deny it, I felt like I knew what this letter was about.

Nico didn't give me much information about why he had to leave when he did, but the very fact that he decided to free me and have me drive them out told me that what he was doing wasn't approved or even known about by Lord Bronwyn.

And I doubt Nico told Lord Vanderwood whatever the reasoning was.

I could feel sweat beginning to bead on the back of my neck.

It just suddenly felt Like Lord Bronwyn was watching me.

"Woah, dude. You look like you just witnessed a murder,"

I glanced up to Carlo, a fellow slave, as he shuffled through some envelopes in his hand from across the mailroom.

I cleared my throat before speaking, hoping that my nervousness wouldn't be heard through my next words.

"Yeah well uhh-,"

Well, that failed.

Carlo's brows rose a bit before he walked over to me and looked at the envelope I held.

His eyes widened before he took a step back, hissing through his teeth.

"Yeesh. Isn't that the Lord that you came from?" He asked.

Carlo was one of the only other slaves that actually attempted to get to know me the moment I was announced to be in charge of him and the other slaves on that floor.

In fact, he was the one in charge before I showed up, and surprisingly wasn't mad at all about the fact that he had to step down

And we actually hit it off pretty well, and I ended up telling him about where I came from and how I got here. Although I left out the last couple days before we left.

The rest of the slaves were a bit avoidant or nervous whenever I was around. I guess since I was on good terms with Nico they thought that I was a snitch or something.

I didn't worry too much about it though. I knew they'd come around in time.

Plus Carlo was super easy to get along with, despite being barely a year older than me.

I never got acquainted with any of the slaves older than me at Lord Bronwyn's castle.

His joyful disposition was something that I think every slave here could learn from.

"Yeah...,"

Carlo blew out a sigh.

"Do you think anything about you is in there?"

I bit the inside of my lip, looking back down at the envelope.

"I don't know... Maybe? I'd like to hope not, but I feel like I wouldn't be this nervous if I wasn't."

And since this was a letter from another Lord, I had to deliver this right away.

Carlo suddenly threw an arm around my shoulders.