Chapter 90

Khloe's POV:

Nico and I made our way through the halls of the Lord and Lady's floor, heading to the room Caroline instructed that we met in.

I already had a feeling that I knew what this conversation was going to be about, and therefore already went through all of the embarrassment beforehand.

Coming to the conclusion that Caroline was probably one of the best teachers when it comes down to explaining everything I can do as a female vampire helped me accept the fact that it included having to talk to her about personal things.

The personal things involving her son.

I squeezed the hand that had our interlocked fingers at the thought.

It was still embarrassing to think about, but I needed this information.

Plus, I knew Caroline wasn't the type to hold any judgment, she just wanted to help me understand.

I rubbed my free hand against my upper arm, the sweater I was wearing still not providing enough warmth.

Nico responded to that action by releasing my hand, arm sliding around my shoulder instead to pull me closer.

I rested my head against his shoulder for a short moment as his hand rubbed against the arm mine was, his doing a much better job in warming me up.

"How long do you think this will take?" He asked.

I shrugged, "It depends. I guess however long it takes you to get your work done."

He let out a small disgruntled 'hmph' that earned a small laugh from me.

"Don't give me that," I chastised, "You know you still have some work to do, even with Xander covering most of it."

"Yeah I know," He began, "It shouldn't take me that long."

I could practically feel the slight tightening in his jaw as well as his hold on me.

I knew he still got a bit antsy whenever he wasn't with me from the incident.

I figured he would be like that for a while.

You can't exactly go through something that he did without expecting that to be a part of the outcome.

Despite knowing that I was going to be safe, he couldn't help himself.

Especially since my body was still trying to recover.

I think his whole 'protective instinct' had been kicking in harder than ever since he thought that he'd lost me for good.

Because of that he was on guard over me almost 100% of the time.

"Then, just swing by whenever you get done. I'm sure we'll have enough to talk through until you get back."

I hoped maybe the fact that I'd be with his mother the whole time would console him at least a little bit.

I couldn't tell if it did or not.

The room we discussed came into view as we rounded the corner.

It was a large common room, similar to the ones on our floor.

I spotted Caroline immediately, watching as she stoked the small fire that sat within a brick fireplace.

Nico took in a long inhale beside me as he spotted her as well, probably trying to calm himself down.

"Right," He exhaled as we both came to a stop, "I'll meet you back here then."

I nodded as he took both my hands into his, leaning in to place a kiss on my cheek.