Chapter 69

Xander's POV:

This morning was one of the more relaxing ones I've had recently.

We spent this morning lazing, Doe laying close-eyed on my chest while my fingers gently trailed her back.

With all of the stress of what's going lately, it felt nice to just chill for a second.

Despite the fact that what was going on didn't exactly include me, the tension between Nico and my father was something that I could practically feel non-stop.

Not to mention the apparent inclusion of Khloe.

It's times like this when I'm extra glad that I'm not the heir.

Especially after I finally told Doe what was happening.

Understandably, she was worried, so we just stayed away from all of it as often as we could.

Or more specifically, I kept her away from it.

I trailed my hand up to massage the back of her neck, earning a content sigh as she leaned into it.

"You hungry yet," She asked through her tired voice, not even peaking an eye open.

"Only if you are," I responded, equally as quiet, "I can go grab something while you sleep in."

"And have you drop half of it again like last time?" she teased, using the hand on my chest to push herself up, "No thanks."

I let out a short chuckle, rolling my eyes while moving her hair in order to fully see hers.

"Fair enou-"

I cut myself off as a wave on uneasiness shot through me out of nowhere, causing my eyes to thin out for a short second and to shoot up into a sitting position.

The hair on my neck rose and my heart rate spiked, all of these things together being a common and familiar warning that most vampires get.

Something was horribly wrong.

My eyes searched the immediate area, despite the fact that I felt like I already knew what was going on.

"Alex?" Doe spoke, snapping my gaze down to the concern in her eyes.

She's seen this sort of reaction from me before, so she knew what was going on.

"What it is?" she finished.

"I don't know," I looked through our room one last time, almost hoping whatever causing this was in here instead of where I thought it might be.

It wasn't.

Shit.

I immediately moved to get off the bed.

"I'll be right back. Stay here," I explained to her, heading quickly into my closet to change into something decent.

"Is it... the Lord?" She spoke as I stepped out again, a hint of discomfort in her voice.

I hesitated for a second.

I hated hearing anything like that in her voice, and the last thing I wanted was for her to be scared.

Walking back over to the side of the bed that she was on, I answered, "I think so, but I want to go check and make sure."

Our bodies only gave us warnings in dangerous circumstances.

I've gotten a couple of them in my life but this one felt... different.

"If it's something that I can help with, then I want to be there for it, or at least make sure its nothing too serious," I leaned down, cupping one cheek while I kissed the other one, "But until then, stay here. I'll be back soon."