Chapter 82

Khloe's POV:

"Was this something that you wanted?" Caroline's voice spoke quietly, breaking the silence.

I guess she sensed that I had awoken from the short rest I had taken after Xander stopped by the second time.

I had been basically resting for the majority of the past two days as the inner workings of my body continued to get used to all that was going on.

Steadily pushing myself up, I rose a brow at the woman sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I mean," She elaborated, "Daniel and I made this decision purely based on the fact that Nico was in love with a Human, and by the natural laws that come with being royals, even if he wanted, Nico couldn't have married you and still carried the responsibilities he was born with. We changed you in order to get rid of that roadblock, but we never stopped to ask if this was what you wanted."

A hint of guilt showed in the way her eyebrows pressed together.

I continued looking at her expression as I thought back to a few days prior.

"It was," I began, "Or at least it was only a few days before this all happened. I didn't even know that this was a possibility until then. He didn't tell me until that night you stopped by his room, but that was the end goal we had set for the plan he made to send me away until he found a royal that would change me."

"He planned on sending you away?" She asked, perplexed.

I nodded.

"He thought I was in danger... with all that was going on and I guess his worries grew enough to where he knew he couldn't take on the Lord if it came down to it, so he thought that sending me away would be the safest bet until he could eventually turn me."

She was silent for a moment, eyes shifting to the floor as she pondered my words.

I took that moment to glance across the room at the mirror Xander had moved so that I could see myself from the bed.

Staring back at me was the girl that I'd always known. Red hair, freckled skin, and blue eyes that had only just returned since feeding from Xander.

There were certain changes that I definitely couldn't avoid, but at the end of it all, it was still me.

"He treats you well, right?" She asked.

I smiled a bit at the slight edge in her voice. One that almost sounded like if I said anything close to no, she would hurt him.

"He does," I replied, my smile steadily growing as I thought about it, "He's gentle and patient. A lot more so than I thought any man would have the capability of being. He notices every little detail and surprises me in the best ways. Even towards the beginning of our relationship, when I was having doubts about all of this and how it would work, he'd always be there to talk me through it and I don't think that there was a single time that I ever had to wonder if he still loved me because he'd always be showing it in one way or another."

It as at this moment that I noticed the tears in my eyes and how tightly I was holding my hands together.

I rubbed my thumb against the ring that I had moved back to my finger.

I missed him.

Caroline let out a quiet sigh of relief as I wiped my eyes.

"Good. I always tried to make sure my boys knew the proper way to treat a woman and make sure that I raised them to be chivalrous. I wanted them to actually take it to heart instead of making them think that it was another part of etiquette they needed to know as princes, but I always got worried because as long as they've both been alive they'd never shown any interest in dating or anything of the sort." She paused for a moment, "Although I guess being heirs, its difficult to find someone who will love you for who you are instead of what you can give."

I let out a soft laugh, "You shouldn't worry anymore, I can assure you that you did well with both of them."

Her smile turned to a softer one.

"That's good to hear, and if I'm being honest I cant wait to see you two after your third stage. After he won't have to hide this anymore and you both can be happy."

The way she spoke reminded me of that night she stopped by Nico's room, everything she said back then still staying true right now.

"I think It'll be soon." I spoke, "The third stage, I mean."

She straightened and tilted her head a bit. "What makes you say that?"

I hesitated for a second.

In all honesty, I didn't know, It was just this weird new feeling in my body, and that's the only response my brain was giving me.

It was like a warning and a head-up all in one.

A heads up for the most dreaded part of vampirism, at least according to Nico.

When Caroline first told me that the third stage consisted of blood moon-like symptoms, I was nervous.

But now, oddly I was calm about it.

I doubt it's gonna be like that when it actually happens, but I'll take what I can get.

"I guess I can just... feel it. It's like my body is just confirming what's to come, is that normal?"

Her wide-eyed look told didn't exactly give me any hope.

"It is, but I've never experienced it during the blood moon. Although I guess that isn't exactly the case for you. Female vampires are more in tune with their own bodies and the signals it's giving us than the males are, so I say trust it, and well prepare for it from there."

"Wait really?" I asked.

She nodded.

"We believe it stemmed from the keeping and bearing of children once vampires first domesticated themselves, and we learned and evolved through the centuries."

Well, that was certainly the first time I'd heard that.

Then again, Caroline was really the first female vampire I've ever really talked to.

"But I can explain more after your shift is complete, I'm sure Nico and I will both have a lot to teach you."