The Mayan Dragon

Ashiq hesitantly made his way into the dark cave. Limping through the damp dimly lit tunnel with his aching body crying out for medical treatment, he clutched his arm to ease the sharp pain once again. The cave was much tighter than the corridor at the temple. The water inside the cave was about two feet tall with droplets falling from the moist ceiling. Tiny plants grew from the mossy walls and ceiling which notified the boy that life could be sustained within the cave, even if just for a few weeks. Ashiq stopped to consume some of the water to quench his dehydration. His Islamic faith was still strong as he compared the refreshing water of the cavern to the blessed zamzam water that replenished Hājar and Ismā'īl [The wife and son of Ibrāhīm]. The water was indeed a great gift from God.

Approaching his final sip, mixed emotions haunted the young boy. He felt fear, anger, sorrow, loneliness, grief and fatigue all at once. Physically his body was aching all over but mainly in his back and limbs. Ashiq did a lot of running which made his legs very sore from his hamstring right down to his feet. Every step he took and every move he made was painful. Nevertheless he proceeded into the cave when suddenly his stomach began to grumble. He became hungry followed by a sudden migraine that struck him once again like it did that previous time in the jungle. He fell to his knees in the water, as he began to cry thinking of his brothers. He genuinely missed his kin.

The boy was more concerned about their well-being than his own. Seeing his reflection began to appear inside the water, he contemplated drowning himself to end the torment. But this was not the time to feel sorry for himself as he reflected upon the words of his brother Musa saying, "The world is not an easy place little brother. Things are changing, but I can't say exactly what's happening. You have to learn how to fend for yourself Ashiq, and fast." He stood to his feet, thinking that if his brothers had survived. He too must survive if he wished to see them again.

Therefore Ashiq must get up and be strong just as Musa said. "Very well then!" he shouted as he continued his journey into the cave until he arrived at a part of the cave where the water discontinued. The land was now dry. He looked back into the darkness amazed at how far he had came. Walking along the dry rocky path he began to see writings and illustrations carved along the wall. Although he couldn't read any of the writings the concept of the illustrations seem to display a giant bird-like serpent consuming a human. "Is this one of the native people's Gods?" he thought to himself as he glided his fingers across the wall art slowly.

Shortly after his limp of agony through the cave the path came to an end. The pathway had lead him into an enormous room with colorful illustrations carved all over the walls. The chamber was vibrantly lit by blazing torches of fire, exuding a feeling of life and energy, but nobody was there. The floors were painted green and the ceilings were painted blue. Ashiq interpreted this concept to represent 'The Land and The Sky or The Earth and The Heavens'. "This place is astounding." he remarked.

He made his way across the floors that were painted a shade of jade green. The ground was decorated with green pastures mounded with vegetations. Birds and Butterflies flew across the chamber resting peacefully on top of the plants. He strolled over to a nearby pasture that was full of corn and picked one. Peeling the corn, he began eating it as the colorful birds watched him attentively. These birds were similar to the ones he had seen before. They had green wings with red bellies and long blue tail feathers.

That's when Ashiq recalled the quetzal feathers on the mask in his bag. He took the mask out placing it next to the tiny birds to compare the color schemes. "It's a match! The feathers match!" he shouted in amazement, "These birds match the quetzal feathers on the mask . . . Hmm, I think i'll call you guys . . . Quetzal birds." The birds looked at the boy chirping happily. In the distance stood many gigantic pillars extending from the ground to the ceiling in a long line that lead to the back of the room. The boy followed these pillars until he arrived at a specific stone structure that appeared to look like some sort of sacrificial altar. Behind the altar was a wide dark passageway that lead into another room. Ashiq's vision did not span beyond the altar for the tunnel was pitch black.