You're Like Me

Twilight's POV

I woke up this morning feeling pretty good, I was proud of myself for beating so many contestants yesterday. I really needed to get that out of my system. But now I feel like my day is getting better because Toothless came to me this morning and told that Hiccup and the other humans are going to let me roam around the island for the day. I know that they will be secretly watching me so I don't escape, but I don't plan to run away, not today. Instead, I just want to explore, find out more about these humans.

"Remember, do not go to the far side of the island. Some of the humans here still don't like dragons. They won't kill you but they will do everything in their power to get rid of you." Toothless warns me.

"I won't go to the far side of the island, now I really want to go!" I complain, my legs itching to get out there and explore.

"Well... Okay. But be safe, don't eat anything you don't recognize." He continues.

"Alright, alright. See you later!" I say excitedly, I lick his cheek and his face turns an almost un-noticeable pink. He seems to freeze and just blinks after me. I laugh to myself, Toothless can be cute sometimes. Ew gross, I can't believe I just thought that. Oh well. I was now in the middle of the village eating fish, I get a few stares here and there but I don't really mind. After I finish gulping down some fish I start walking again. My ears pick up something, I hear something that doesn't sound nice. I start walking towards the sound.

5 minutes later...

I have very sharp hearing so I can hear things from far away. The sound gets louder, it sounds like talking. But it doesn't sound nice. I peek around the corner of a house and see a girl on the ground crying. Above her are a group of people who I recognize, they were the contestants who lost to me in the first round.

"You shouldn't have passed that round, you just got lucky." One of the older girls states angrily.

"I bet she cheated..." Whispered one of the boys.

"Oh well, she won't survive the next round. I bet she'll get shot!" Teases one of the other girls.

"Yeah, and then she will run away crying like a baby!" Laughs one of the boys, everyone else joins in.

I recognize the girl on the ground, she was one of the contestants who passed. I noticed during the test that some of the other humans kept looking at her funny and whispering about her. Now this. The girl stands up and runs off into the woods.

"Haha loser!" The humans called after her. They all laughed and walked away whispering stuff about the girl. My curiosity was burning into my scales so I ran after the girl who ran into the woods.

3 minutes later...

Wow, that human can run pretty fast and a good distance in such little time. I am out of breath by the time I catch up with her, when I do find her though she is sitting at the edge of a small lake with a waterfall. She is weeping with her hands over her eyes and she is on her knees. I slowly walk up to her from behind, my foot steps on a stick and it breaks. Making a loud snapping noise, making the girl snap her head around and look right at me. I finally have a good look at her, her eyes are a sapphire colour and her hair is as black as my scales. She also has lovely tan skin.

"Oh... it's you..." She says in a hushed voice, wiping away her tears. I walk closer to her and sit down next to her. She pulls up her knees and looks at the shinning pool of water.

"I know you probably don't understand or want to but... can I tell you something?" She asks me quietly. I blink at her in acknowledgment and wait and listen to her.

"Ever since I was young people have always seemed to look away and ignore me. Some would pretend I wasn't even there. And things got worse after we made peace with you dragons. My family started yelling at me for no reason and the people at the village would give me a hard time." She starts, I already feel sympathy for her and I don't even know her that well.

"I tried to make friends with dragons but my family forbids it and they hate dragons, they don't want me to even go close to one." She continues sadly. I bet she is part of that group of people that Toothless was talking about, the ones who hate dragons. But this girl seems to like dragons.

"I love dragons and want to train one but I can't and I certainly can't come out here to try and find one. It would be too dangerous. So when I heard that you would be available for a rider I came to try out against my parents wishes." She tells me before looking at her feet. Her tears start to dry on her rosy cheeks.

"After the first round though it seemed people started paying attention to me and not in a good way..." She says frowning, tears threatening to fall once again.

"The other kids my age and older started picking on me and telling me I'm no good at anything..." She tells me, tears starting to form in her eyes.

"The only reason they mainly hate me so much is that they think I'm like my parents and hate dragons. But I love dragons..." She goes on.

"I wish I could prove to them I love dragons but they won't listen, the only people who don't tease me are chief Hiccup and his friends. I really appreciate that but I wish I wasn't invisible..." Tears start to crawl down her cheeks.

"I just wish people smile at me, treat me like an equal, not an enemy!" She raises her voice shakily.

"The gods must hate me, I don't know what I ever did to make them hate me so much!" She shouts a little. She curls back up into a bawl and weeps loudly. I understand now, and I can relate. Having your family hate you and everyone around you ignoring you is just as bad as losing my family. If no one cares about you or is there for you when you need someone to talk to then you feel lonely and invisible. I scoot closer to the girl and nuzzle her, she is the only one who really understands true pain. She lifts her head and blinks innocently at me, seeming shocked. I lick away her tears and rub my head to her chest. A smile peeks at her cheeks and she embraces me still crying.

"You understand huh? I thought I was the only one who could ever feel that pain..." She whispers to me sounding relieved. I knew at that moment that humans felt emotions just like I do and that some of them share the same pain I do. I also realized that I wanted this girl to be my rider, if I wanted anyone to ever ride me it would be her. I will find a way to make her win the trials. This girl knows my pain and I feel like I have a connection to her. She stops hugging me and holds my head gently, she looks me in the eyes.

"Thank you for listening to me, it's good to know someone understands me..." She tells me. Then she smiles the most beautiful smile I have ever seen. I smile back and lick her face, she giggles.

"My names is Kania by the way, Kania Petrova." She smiles at me. I wanted to cheer her up so I push my head through her legs, forcing her onto my back. She stares at me in shock and that face suddenly turns to warm happiness that reads 'Thank you, I promise I will never betray you'. She holds onto the rains of my saddle and I start whisking through the woods. And I can tell that she is smiling a smile that has never been smiled before.