Understanding

Twilight's POV

Yawn. I wake up in the early morning, warm sun rays hitting my face. Dew drops on the lush plants and the waterfall and a few birds being the only thing I hear. A beautiful morning that will be captured in my memory forever. I eventually remember what happened the previous day and look around frantically in spot trying to find Kania, I had been so focused on the waterfall and birds I didn't even hear a yawn from under my wing. I lift my wing up and find Kania just waking up, she looks better than yesterday.

"Good morning Twilight..." She yawns. When she opens her eyes to look around she almost jumps.

"Wow... really good morning. It's beautiful out here!" She says in glee. I'm glad she's feeling better, I would hate for her to still be upset. She looks back to me and her eyes fill up with gratitude, she smiles and hugs me.

"Thank you for staying with me Twilight, I really appreciate it." She thanks me. I just nudge her in affection, letting her know I mean 'you're welcome'. She gets up and stretches, I can hear a few finger knuckles pop and her spine muscles as well. I stretch too, we have to be ready for the day. I know Kania doesn't really want to but I kind of want to go back to the village and check up on everything. But firstly I want to check up on Toothless, I promised him I would never fly away and the stunt me and Kania pulled the other day might make him think we were leaving. Me and Kania sleepily wonder over to the pond and get a drink, the water is cold, fresh, and clean. After we get a drink I go and get ready to go back to the village while Kania rubs water on her face to help wake her up. Also to make her facial appearance look better, she looked like a mess this morning. A happy mess, but a mess nonetheless. After that she takes out a stick with other sticks on it, she puts it in her hair and starts moving the object down, back up, and down again. She got the object out of a leather bag she carried on her hip, it had flower designs on it. Kania must have spotted me staring at the object she was using and started telling me about it.

"This is called a comb, usually people with long hair use it to get knots out of their hair. You know, so the hair doesn't look like it was just struck by lightning and then became a birds nest." She explains, she giggles at the last part. That makes a lot more sense than I thought it would, honestly. After she 'brushes' her hair she walks up beside me, looking into the woods in an emotionless trance. I nudge her side trying to snap her out of her trance. She jumps a little bit and shakes her head slightly, then she looks at me with a weary smile and nods. Then we start walking into the forest. We are going back to the village, we both know we would have had to go back one time or another. I don't know what Kania will do when gets back there but I know I am going to check on Toothless. I know Kania, and I know she can handle herself for a little bit if I leave to check on someone or something for a minute. As we walk in the forest we take in the sights we see, the sun rising just over the horizon making just enough light to see morning fog on the ocean. Rabbits munching on fresh grass, birds flying around collecting food for their chicks, and butterflies landing in flowers collecting nectar. It really was a beautiful morning, everything seemed to be at peace. No disturbances, no scent of animal death, no cries of pain. Not even any dragon roars or growls. It was just so peaceful, but some might argue to peaceful. Kania had seeds in her satchel so she brought them out and held a hand out full of them. Birds swooped in gracefully and landed on her hand, pecking the seeds from it. A few seeds fell in front of me and that meant a bird would follow, a small Finch landed in front of me. It looked younger than the other ones so it must be just entering adulthood. I stare down at it, not because I wanted to eat it. But because I was surprised to see a bird come so close to something that could easily eat it in a split second. Also because I was deep in thought. I am thinking about how everything has to have been born, have a family, a parent, someone who take scared of it until it's old enough to care for itself. And then that creature goes and has a family of its own and cycle repeats, everything is connected. All living things are just trying to live and survive like the rest of us. We may be different but we all want the same thing. To live. It was a really interesting thought, so much so that I didn't hear Kania start to walk away. I had to run to catch up, she was a fast walker! We soon wandered into a field full of moths and butterflies, when we noticed this we shared a mischievous and knowing glance. We went to either sides of the field and rushed right in. Causing all the moths and butterflies you can imagine to fly up into the sky, the moths left the field and into the forest but the butterflies stayed behind at the field with me and Kania. We sat down and admired them and their hundreds of patterns of colours. We saw some who had orange wings with black lines going through them with a few white dots, we saw one that had brown on one side that had a pattern that looked like an eye while the underside was blue. We even saw one that was completely black, Kania decided to name it Night Fly. She named it after me, telling me it reminded of her of my own elegance and beauty. I was filled with happiness and embarrassment. I never really thought of myself beautiful or elegant but it was nice to know someone thought so. I licked Kania and nuzzled her letting her know I thought the same of her. A butterfly landed on my nose and I averted my eyes right onto it, then I turned my head to Kania trying to show her. When she looked at me she laughed, what was so funny? She laughed for another minute before she stopped when the butterfly flied away. I guess I will never know. I gave her a huge lick right up her face so it was covered in dragon slobber. I gave her my own laugh fit as she wiped away the spit. She eventually got it off and she beamed and stroked my head, then we stood up and left the clearing. The whole village should be awake by this time, it was almost midday. We soon reached the path that led to the village and we followed it all the way to the village. We were still some ways away from the village but we could see it, and this was where we would decide if we go there or not. I knew I was ready to go back, but I would only go back if Kania would. She took a deep breath a continued walking to the village, I was relieved she decided to go back. I willingly walked alongside her and started thinking about what to say to Toothless, also what I would say to my other dragon friends. In all honesty, the thought of 'escaping' seems like a forgotten and far away dream now. I don't feel like leaving Berk unless it's with Toothless or Kania. I still want to get revenge for my family but it can wait a while longer. As we approach the village we hear a lot of yelling and arguing, but that's not entirely unusual. We walk right up to the outskirts of the village and stare at the many houses. We don't know how the people will react to us being back but we have to hope they won't kick us away.