Our New Joy: Part A

Twilight's POV

It's been a month since I got back to Berk, Calder and his family are here. When we got back he was questioned for a whole day, thankfully he told us everything he knew about Night Furies. Not too much more than we all already know but some new things came up, like how Night Furies prefer hot climates over cold ones. I sort of knew this already but it did answer some questions. About a week after we go back though I started getting bad stomach aches now and then and sometimes Kania would have to remind me to leave some food for the other dragons, I would get so carried away I wouldn't realize how much I was eating. It was like I had a bottomless pit. And now, a few weeks later, Toothless and the others have told me I have started getting grumpy at times and getting angry for no reason. I don't even notice! I also threw up after racing yesterday and I have been laying down in me and Kania's house since, I'm just so tired. Kania brought me breakfast and comforted me for a while. When she left and after I finished eating I looked at myself and noticed my stomach was bigger than usual. I just assume I'm getting fatter, which I need to work on! I knew I should have not eaten so much, Kania was right, I should pay for attention to how much I eat! So now here I am, still in the house, laying down, trying not to induce a stomach ache.

"Twilight? Where are you?" I hear the door downstairs open and Toothless's voice ask.

"Yes, I'm up in the bedroom." I call down, groaning in slight pain because of raising my voice. I hear the door close and Toothless make his way upstairs.

"I haven't seen you all morning, are you okay?" He asks in concern, laying down next to me.

"Not really, I still have a stomach ache and I feel really tired. I threw up yesterday so I didn't want to get up in case I did again." I tell him, shuffling slowly closer to him.

"I can get Fishlegs to look for an illness if you want, I would like to know if my mate is sick. I would hate having to stay away from you just because you're sick." He lets me know, putting his wing around me. I settle into his warmth before responding.

"He can do that? I thought he only gathered information." I question, a little surprised. Toothless chuckles, it's very soothing to the soul.

"Nope, he can tell if a dragon has a sickness, he can't cure it though. That's Gothi's job." He tells me softly, nuzzling me in comfort.

"I would like that very much, the sooner we know what it is the sooner I can get back to beating you in races!" I laugh after saying this.

"Hey! I totally win against you every time and always will!" Toothless pouts, he's so cute.

"Of course you will." I say sarcastically, licking his nose just to tease him. He scrunches up his face and wipes of the saliva with his paw. I giggle as he looks at me with an expression that says 'are you serious?' but there is laughter in his eyes.

"Well, I'm going to go get him now. Stay here." He tells me before walking out.

"Haha very funny." I whisper after him before taking a quick nap.

10 minutes later

I wake up to footsteps coming upstairs, I yawn and watch as Toothless, Fishlegs, Hiccup and the other walk in.

"Why is everyone here?" I ask Toothless.

"They all wanted to make sure you were okay." He tells me then nods to Fishlegs who comes over to examine me.

"Hmmm..." He starts to examine my stomach and my head. He checks all the limbs I have had problems with but he stops his trailing at a specific spot at my underbelly. His eyes light up and he starts squealing, he gets up and does a little dance around the room. What is it? What has gotten him so happy?

"Fishlegs? What is it? You're acting like you just discovered a new dragon!" Hiccup exclaims, looking a little nervous.

"Yeah, it's creeping me out..." Toughnut adds silently.

"He sounds like a dying pig..." Roughnut whispers to her sibling. They both snicker and Astrid hits them both on the head, muttering a silent 'be quiet' to them. Fishlegs skips over to Hiccup and Toothless mingles over and lays down next to me. Fishlegs whispers something to the riders and all their eyes sparkle, smiles spread across their faces and some of them even say some sort of happy saying? Hallelujah? Why are they so happy? I'm in pain here!

"Congratulations Twilight, you're going to be a mother!" Kania throws her hands up in the air happily. I freeze, then the shaking comes. I look to Fishlegs for confirmation, hoping it was true. He nods swiftly and my eyes puff up, a smile quickly spreads across my face. I feel Toothless shaking next to me, I look at him, hoping he is as happy as I am. To my relief he has a smile plastered across his face, I haven't seen him this happy since I told him I loved him.

"I'm going to be a dad! You're going to be a mom! We're going to be parents!" He exclaims happily, he nuzzles me happily. I laugh in happiness, it hurts my stomach but it's worth it. I'm so happy! I never would have dared to think a few months ago to today I would ever become a mother, even less so with a dragon that lives with humans. But I'm glad it happened, I wouldn't trade anything that happened for anything.

That night there was a celebration, I didn't think my pregnancy was that important to others but I sure was wrong. Turns out Night Furies are kind of Berk's icon, figures. I don't know how long dragon pregnancy lasts but I'm ready to face all of it. I'm ready to go through the pain to have a family with Toothless, I'm ready to create a new chapter in my life. A chapter that starts here at Berk, with Toothless and everyone else I know and love.