Flight Training

Toothless's POV

I am currently standing outside the arena waiting for Twilight and Kania. It's not too early in the morning so they should be here soon, though I don't know where they slept last night. Kania said they had a place to stay so I went along with it but I would like to know where they slept. The other riders are here too, we all want to see what Twilight and Kania can do. But they are new to this so we will probably have to help them a lot, they will get used to it in time.

"Kania better get here soon, I don't waste my beauty sleep for nothing!" Snotlout complains, followed by a yawn.

"What part of it is beauty? You snore louder than a boar!" Ruffnut shoots back at him. Snotlout opens his mouth then shuts it and he huffs, all while crossing his arms.

"He has a small point though, she needs to be here soon-" Astrid begins, before she is interrupted.

"Sorry we're late! Er... good morning! Uh... hope we didn't take to long!" Kania shouts to us, waving while running. Twilight is following after, looking tired.

"It's alright, but you need to be a bit quicker next time." Hiccup states.

"Next time?" I hear Twilight whisper to herself, then she sighs tiredly. They soon reach us and catch their breath.

"Alright then, now that we're all here, let's get started." Hiccup says, walking over to Kania and Twilight.

"Today we are going to teach you how to fly with Twilight." Hiccup tells her.

"With all due respect Chief Hiccup I already-" Kania tries to say but Hiccup keeps talking.

"First thing you want to do is get on her back in the correct way and sit in the proper position." Hiccup demonstrates to Kania on me.

"Can you do that?" He asks Kania.

"Of course." She tells him. Kania walks over to Twilight and gets on with ease, Twilight looks used to it and comfortable. Twilight has a bored look on her face, like she feels like she is being taught to walk.

"Good, but I guess you already know how to do that since you have been on her back before." Hiccup continues.

"Next we want to lift of nice and slow." He tells Kania. He walks over to me but before he can fully get on Kania and Twilight are already in the air.

"Very well done!" Hiccup praises them. Hiccup hops on and we ascend into the sky.

"Now we want to slowly want to glide across the air." Hiccup finishes, but when we look over Kania and Twilight aren't there.

"WHOO!" Kania shouts excitedly. We look over at them and see them zooming back and forth, me and Hiccup follow after them. They are pretty fast so I actually have to try to be fast. Once we catch up with them Hiccup starts talking to Kania.

"You're good at this, considering it's your first time." He comments.

"Oh, well it's n-" Kania begins but stops when she sees a sea stack that we are about to run into. Me and Hiccup dive down but Kania and Twilight have a different approach. Kania gets up and stands on Twilight's back and Twilight kicks her up and over the sea stack, catching her on the other side.

"Whoa! That's an advanced move, how do you know it?" Hiccup asks, astonished by the skill Twilight and Kania have. I am just flat out surprised, I thought they would need a lot of help but they seem like they need none.

"Well I was trying to tell you this isn't the first time me and Twilight have flown together. We have done this a few times before so we are pretty used to it already!" Kania explains, eyes forward. I look at Twilight and she looks at me. Then her face lights up, she looks like she just had an awesome idea. She lifts her ears and starts doing the weird ear communication thing.

"I bet I'm faster than you!" She says through ear communication. I have picked up that trick along the way and I respond back to her.

"No you're not, I have been doing this longer!" I communicate back. Then she gives me a smug grin and speeds up, an obvious challenge to a race. Challenge accepted. I race after her, not at my fastest though. I catch up and she speeds up even more so I do too. We zoom around houses and sea stacks, I feel Hiccup hold tighter onto the saddle. We both go our fastest and the houses below look like brown lines as we pass by them, same goes with everything else. We come to a wall that has a small crack in it and Twilight folds her wings and twists through. I turn sideways and slip through like it was nothing. Then we fly strait up. We fly right up above the clouds and float for a split second, glancing at each other. Twilight gives me a daring look and I return it fully. We dive strait down, back to back, in a spiralling motion around each other. I don't feel scared about getting close to the ground and hitting it, and neither does Twilight. I can tell. I can also tell Kania and Hiccup are holding tighter to us than they ever have before. Oh well, this is a new challenge for all of us. We get closer to the ground, I can hear Twilight making a plasma blast in her mouth so I do the same. I think she plans to shoot the ground upon contact and fly back up without a scratch. Risky move but I need to show her I can do this, besides I like this race. It's the only one I am having trouble winning. Just before we hit the ground we fire our plasma balls. Making a large, charred crack in the rock. There is lots of smoke and I can't see but I fly up unscathed, and so does Twilight. She looks at me and looks a mixture of emotions. Shock, pride, happiness and a way I haven't seen her look at me before. Twilight flies back to the arena and I follow. We land and I can feel Hiccup get stiffly off my back, I see Kania also stiffly get off Twilight.

"That was crazy." Is all that comes out of Kania's mouth.

"I don't think I will be flying for a while." Hiccup states, blinking. Their hair seems to finally be catching up with the rest of their bodies and their hair droops down. Before they looked like they had spiked fire hair.

"This is fascinating! I have never seen this behaviour in dragons before!" Fishlegs fanboys. Then he rants on, Hiccup and Kania are helped into the arena and me and Twilight are left alone outside.

"That was awesome!" I exclaim finally. I had been holding that in for a while.

"It was better than awesome, it was the most amazing thing ever!" Twilight joins in.

"When we did that dive thing though it felt so natural, almost like it was natural." I tell Twilight.

"That's because it WAS natural. We call that a Trust Fall." Twilight tells me matter-of-fact.

"Trust Fall?"I ask almost to myself.

"It's a fall that our kind does to test the trust they can put into the other. It's not that I didn't trust you before it's just that now I can fully trust you with everything." Twilight says cheerfully.

"I'm glad I can trust you." She tells me before she nuzzles me. I nuzzle her back and we both turn around to look at the village.

"I'm glad I finally have a place to call home." She whispers to me, smiling a toothy grin. That sentence made me feel happy but also remorse. She never had a proper place to call home before? I'm glad she does now.

"We should go check up on our riders." She tells me, looking into the arena.

"I guess you are right, you first m'lady." I dip my head to her, motioning her into the arena.

"Why thank you." She giggles. After she heads in I follow. We have a long life ahead of us, and I'm glad I can spend it with the people I care most about.