Mercy

Twilight's POV

Dad? Is this some kind of sick joke or some trick? How could a monster like this be a father? I don't get it!

"DAD! Oh, I knew you shouldn't have worked for Drago! It would have been fine if we starved for just a bit longer, you could have found a better job, other than killing dragons you love! We would have been fine, now a dragon has come for revenge and could...could..." The woman had tears streaming down her puffy cheeks as she said this. I was stunned, frozen in place, I couldn't move. Time seemed to stand still in that moment in time. What is she saying...? I don't get it... Dad? Loved dragons? No.... this can't be right.... can it? Could this man never wanted to kill dragons? Could he have just killed them so his family wouldn't starve to death? Then why did he look so evil when I saw him slaughter my parents and brother, was it just an act? I can't understand.... why? I was so deep in thought I didn't realize my claws starting o dig into Calder's chest, drawing blood. When I finally noticed, I looked down at him. Desperate to see the truth and understand if he really hated dragons. But when I looked down I saw an old man, terrified, and in pain. He looks so different than from back then, he changed. Did he quit working for Drago when his family had enough money? When I looked into his eyes, I saw myself reflect in them. My scared self. He had so much love for his family and dragons, I could see it and feel it radiating off of him. My face relaxed and I removed my paw from his chest. He gulped air and started coughing.

"TWILIGHT!" A familiar voice called. I looked up and spotted Toothless ad the others flying down to me. Calder's family came rushing to him, I still find it hard to believe he is different then I thought but I won't attack him. I snorted and turned away, my tail lightly brushing his face.

"Twilight, thank Thor we found you!" Toothless spoke rushed, panting for air. He must be really tired.

"Yeah..." I silently mutter, to low for anyone to hear. I see the riders go to Calder and his family, some with medical supplies. I huff. I turn away sharply and stomp off in a random direction.

15 minutes later

I sat on a cliff, looking over the cold, dark sea. I didn't really feel anything at that moment, just the wind on my scales and listening to my surroundings. I wasn't thinking or feeling, I don't even know if I was really seeing. I just sat emotionless.

"There you are, I was looking for you." Toothless says behind me. I snap out of my emotionless trance and look to him with sombre eyes. He jumps a little at the sight, I guess I would too. I probably look like death.

"Hey, I'm glad you didn't kill Calder. Even after what he did." He almost whispers, looking to his paws. I sigh with a slow nod and pat a spot next to me. His eyes brighten a bit and he sits down next to me. We both stare across the vast ocean in silence for a minute.

"I would have killed him, but I didn't because I remembered what you said." I start softly, he turns to me. In full attention to what I'm saying.

"You told me that everyone deserves a second chance and to be shown mercy, and you were right. Calder isn't bad at heart, he only killed because he had to." I say a little louder, emotion flooding back into me.

"I didn't know his story and if it wasn't for you and his daughter's words I would have blasted him to death, causing more bad than good." I confessed, feeling embarrassed and a bit ashamed.

"I shouldn't have left without telling you either, I'm sorry. I know I promised and I broke it. I understand if you don't.... don't want me around anymore-" I apologize but get cut off.

"I will always want you around Twilight, you may have broken your promise but you did it because you wanted to get revenge for your family's death. I understand that. It hurt that you didn't tell me but I understand, I love you Twilight and always will. No matter what." He proclaims with a sweet and comforting smile. I feel my eyes getting puffy.

"I love you too!" I say back, my eyes now red and puffy. If I could cry I probably would have. I nuzzle him and smile, feeling overwhelming happiness and joy. He nuzzles me back and we stay like that for what I wished was forever.

"We better get back to the others, they might get worried. This IS a place where dragons could be captured by dragon hunters. And I know Kania misses you, she was really worried when she couldn't find you. We almost made her stay back on Berk in fear of her instability." He tells me, oh shoot. I forgot about Kania!

"You're right, ooh... poor Kania. Let's head back now!" I sputter out frantically. He nods and we start heading back, I trot while he follows a little behind. I walk into the clearing where Calder's tent is located and I spot Kania talking in a stuttery manner to Astrid. Then she spots me and bursts into a large smile, she runs over to me. Almost tripping over herself in the process. I run to her as well and she leaps at me, embracing me in a big, warm hug.

"Never EVER do that again! I was so worried! I thought you got kidnapped, or you ran away!" She says frantically, I felt gilt punch me in the back like a rock to the head. Kania must have taken this worse than others would, she had always been abandoned her whole life. I hugged her back tightly, nuzzling her. Even if she couldn't understand, I promised I never would again. The others finally noticed me there and came over, worried expressions on their faces.

"I'm so glad you're okay, everyone was really worried!" Meatlug sighs in relief. Stormfly just nuzzles me for what seems like forever.

"Things got pretty hectic when you left, you're a real trouble maker you know? I like it! But it will be good to have you back on Berk, then at least I know someone who can help me prank Snotlout. He wouldn't stop running his mouth all the way over here about how he was going to rescue you." Hookfang explains, I laugh at this. After the reunion we get ready to leave, Calder will be coming back to Berk with us with his family. He needs to be questioned but also he needs a place for him and his family to stay since they never had a permanent house. I never said it, but silently I forgave Calder and am ready to move on from the blood thirsty revenge I felt for so long. It feels good, like a great darkness has been lifted from my body. It felt like I was breathing for the first time, breathing in clean, fresh air to a new beginning. We ascend into the air and start flying home. I smile to myself, I'm ready for a newer beginning. A Beginning that I start. I look to Toothless and he looks to me, we smile at each other and fly off to back home to Berk.