8.2|| Cage Uncaged

Texas was comfortable routine. Sam's days went exactly the same way, and he'd never enjoyed monotony more.

Wake up, run the obstacle course, ride a horse, target practice, ride a motorcycle, take a tour with Max, go to an Uncaged concert.

Yes, he wouldn't mind if this went on for eternity. Kyle and Kay were so lively and in their element, it was easy to be infected by their mood. And the energy at the concerts was amazing. They never had the same program so people came flocking to every venue, the crowd thicker each time.

Sam had no idea how much new material there was since he wasn't familiar with the old one, but every evening, Kyle and Kay would lay on Kyle's bed, engrossed in notes and lyrics, discussing themes for possible new songs.

Sometimes, Sam liked to join them just to be able to spin on Kyle's desk chair, staring at the ceiling, and pretending he was that little boy in the photo pinned on Kyle's wall.

And after spending days with them, Sam was so grateful for his brother and his girlfriend. They never kissed in front of him, never touched or had longing love struck staring contests. Sam hadn't even been aware they were doing more than talking until he approached Kyle out of guilt to tell him he didn't have to be abstinent because he was there. 

Kyle had laughed in his face and told Sam he lacked imagination which Sam took to mean that hell, yeah, they were doing it, just not in his hearing range. Which made sense and was what normal people did.

Then Jessie and Jimmy arrived and his world was swallowed by confusion again because they didn't belong in his made-up childhood. Though he couldn't be upset when Jessie hugged him tightly.

"You look great," she said with a big smile.

"Sleep does that to a person," Kay said, already pulling Jessie away from him. "I have so much to show you!"

Jimmy just nudged Sam's shoulder with his fist. "She's right, you do look great."

Sam just nodded, grateful no one was asking how he was feeling, since the answer was good on the outside, shitty on the inside. He didn't want to go there, the numbness worked. He also didn't want to ask how everything was at home, though he felt guilty about that, too. No one had called him since he'd left and he appreciated it. It made it so much easier to pretend.

So he went for a neutral question. "Done with work?"

"Yeah, though it's going to be brutal. Apparently Jerry sold me off to NASA and the Agency wants me in a space training program for some reason."

"You're kidding," Sam said, his jaw dropping. "Like real astronaut stuff?"

"Yes. They're also giving me a training course in satellite technology, which I can't say I mind. That stuff is fascinating."

Sam had never wanted to be an astronaut as a kid, but it still seemed such a far fetched dream. And an opportunity of a lifetime. He'd totally do it, even if he'd probably never survive the training due to his fear of heights.

"So are you going to do it?"

"Not sure," Jimmy said with a shrug. "I'd have to train here in Texas for a while and I'm not sure I want to leave Chicago again so soon." His eyes traveled to Jessie as he said this and Sam understood that she wouldn't be able to follow him this time like she did when he was at MIT.

"No," Jessie said, distracting Sam from the possibility of Jimmy flying off into space. "Really?"

"Yeah, I think it would be great," Kyle said with a huge grin. "You're rusty anyway. Performing would do you a world of good."