19.2|| She's Back

Sam fought the need to step back as Kay glared at him.

"Honestly, Kay, you can go home," Angie said, sounding exasperated. "Sam will stay with me."

"I don't trust this," Kay muttered. "Not because of you, Sam. I just don't trust her around you with her Tom obsession."

Angie rolled her eyes. "I do not have an obsession. And really, I feel like you're smothering me with all your coddling. Go. Home."

Kay ignored her, still analyzing Sam as if to make sure he wasn't Tom in disguise. He wondered what would happen if she knew he and Angie had kissed. Maybe never let them come anywhere near each other.

"I'm not going home," she suddenly said.

"Then take your room," Angie said right before taking Sam's hand and leading him into her bedroom.

"Um, are you sure this is okay?" Sam asked as she shut the door behind them and headed for the bed.

She already wore pajama bottoms and a tank top so she just flopped down on it. "If you feel uncomfortable, you can go sleep in Jessie's old room. I just don't want Kay in here with me."

"Why not?" He walked over and lay on the bed, not touching her. It didn't feel weird. Not yet at least.

"She should go home. She's screwing up her relationship. I've never seen her and Kyle so tense around each other. They were here the other night, it was... They were like two different people."

Sam flinched. He hadn't noticed, but come to think about it, he hadn't seen them together in a good long while. Since Angie came back, actually. He closed his eyes because he didn't want to think about it. Angie took his hand. It still wasn't weird. Not even when she turned her back to him and he hugged her from behind and fell asleep with her head against his shoulder.

It was hours later that something woke him up. He wasn't sure what, but it could have been the light of the full moon breaking through the window and landing on his face. He blinked to get adjusted to the light. Angie was no longer next to him, but sitting on the edge of the bed, looking out the window. Her angle let him see half of her face, but it was enough to notice the empty look in her eyes, the trace of tears on her cheeks.

His heart clenched as he watched her, the pain dripping out of her every pore. For her family, for her lost love, for her stupid, stupid boyfriend. Maybe he should've said something, but it didn't feel right. Not even when fresh tears started rolling down her face. But at that moment, he knew she needed someone to hold her together. So he scooted over and hugged her from behind.

"I'm not sure how much more I can take," she whispered.

He opened his mouth to say that it was okay, but the words got stuck in his throat, so he just hugged her tighter. It wasn't, because she didn't deserve to hurt that much.

"I want him to come back so much," she said between tears.

"You shouldn't." These words were easy to get out because he was sick of lying. "He cheated on you."

She stiffened, but didn't turn around. "What?"

"That's actually why I think he was so keen on breaking up with you. Because now it's him, not you, and he just wanted it out of the way."

"He did what now?"

Angie wouldn't be thwarted, and for a second, Sam was sorry that he'd betrayed his twin. But then again, who cared? The truth would've come out eventually and he was so tired of miscommunication and all that bullshit.

So he sighed and let it out. "He screwed some girl in a club while crazy drunk. He couldn't even remember it properly afterwards, but it's no excuse."