32.1|| Partygoers

It was weird how fast the rest of their journey went, even if Sam didn't sleep a wink for the following sixteen hours. They've spent about six more hours in that station, waiting for the right train, but with Skye pressed against him for warmth, it felt like a second.

She looked at him with wonder in her eyes, like he was some sort of superhero, while also knowing the full extent of what this life did to his mind. So maybe he'd kept certain things to himself, like how his fear of heights combined with jumping off a speeding train had made him throw up on the side of it. Yeah... That wasn't exactly relevant.

What he loved most about her was how she took their job seriously as well. She didn't complain, and even if he told her to sleep through the night, she woke up almost every hour to make sure everything was alright. At one point she'd completely panicked when she awoke and he wasn't there, and had come to find him.

No, she wasn't taking him for granted, wasn't leaving everything up to him, like Christine used to when it came to missions. She was there, making sure he knew he wasn't alone every step of the way.

By the time they reached Washington DC, Sam felt a little groggy from the lack of sleep, but they were running a tight schedule so he couldn't afford to dwindle. They went to an inn which was close to the train station, and while Skye go ready for the party, he made a quick grocery run to fill up on some snacks and energy drinks.

Once back in their room (this time it was all about safety, so damn propriety, it wasn't like they were sleeping in it), Sam got to work on his mask. There was no way he was going in there with his own face, but he didn't have the time to craft an entirely new one. A few prosthetics would have to do.

Taking advantage of his alone time, he quickly put on his tuxedo, flung some instant die in his hair to make it graying, slicked it back and continued molding his new nose.

The door to the bathroom opened and Sam raised his eyes. His breath caught in his throat and his heart did a weird loop thing, then started beating as if the world was about to end and it wanted to make up for lost time.

Skye came out, wearing a long, bright red sequin dress with a dipping cleavage and a cut on the side. It hung to her every curve just right, making her look amazing. She'd caught her hair to the base of her neck in a messy bun, tendrils of golden hair framing her face like a halo. Her lips were a bright, ruby red, and her eyeshadow looked like silver stars, making the blue in her eyes stand out.

He'd never seen her like this, dressed up and gorgeous. Because she was, and he could no longer deny it.

She stared at him too, and he stood, feeling awkward to be sitting while she didn't. Her eyes moved from his shoulders to his chest, then lower, taking him in from head to foot.

"You're hair looks weird," she said, her voice a little breathy.

He couldn't believe she was real and that those lips could actually produce words in such a familiar voice. "I know. I hate it."

"Yeah, slick back is not your look." She narrowed her eyes. "What's wrong with your forehead?"

Huh? Oh, right. "I made a wrinkle design and I put it on, but still need to fix it... properly..." He stammered as she walked to him, determination in her eyes.

She put her thumbs on his forehead and smoothed the silicone over his skin, molding it properly. And, like an idiot, all he could do was stare at her lips, because by God, that shade of lipstick was amazing and he'd never wanted to kiss anyone more in his life. Come to think about it, even if he'd known he projected feelings of actual love on her, he'd never really felt the need to act on it. Until now.