28.1|| Rest in Pieces

Tom's plan had been to stay back with his mother, should she need something. The day had been hectic and he needed time to think. Their list hadn't come any closer to help him figure out what to do, how to feel.

For once, Kyle was going home with Kay, which in itself felt like Freider's supposed glorious death was worth it. The thought filled him with guilt, but it didn't make it less true.

Sam obviously needed Skye, and Tom seriously considered some therapy of his own. It seemed to do wonders for his twin. Jerry and Jimmy would be going to Sarah's place to spend the last few hours of their stay.

He had nowhere to go, so it made sense for him to stay behind and help his mom throw out the guests. Only that, as they finally came out of that stifling office full of secrets and lies, their living room was empty except for the girls.

"What do you know," Kyle muttered. "People do get hints sometimes."

"Ron yelling was enough for us to get the message that you should maybe be left alone," Kay said, getting off the couch.

Kyle nodded and took her hand before heading for the door. Skye and Sarah stood, too, seeming very comfortable around each other.

"I know it's way past your normal schedule," Sam said, "but can we have a crash session?"

Skye just nodded and Tom had to admit that he was a little disappointed she didn't ask Sam to take her home instead. There was just something about them that pushed Tom to believe it would've been much better for both of them. Something also told him that they'd both be much better making out, but that was unlikely to happen.

Sarah said goodbye to everyone, too, and he was finally left alone with his father's ashes. In the silence, it felt like the urn was mocking him, chastising him for his earlier thoughts.

"I'm guessing you want to be alone."

He jumped a mile, his heart beating erratically, and turned to Angie who was curled up in one of the armchairs. She stood, her eyes red rimmed and puffy. She was much better company than an urn.

"Not necessarily. Dad's suddenly not such a good conversation partner."

She covered her mouth with her hand, most likely covering up an inappropriate smile. He couldn't help it. He was nothing if not inappropriate.

"Want me to take you home?" he asked.

"Only if you want. I can take a cab..."

"You came. It's the least I can do."

She didn't argue and grabbed her jacket. He followed her out, but they both stopped in the late autumn wind. It was dark now and the street was quiet. The light coming from his living room painted the dried-up lawn in uneven squares.

Angie hesitated for a few more seconds, then turned to face him. "Do you want to talk?"

She knew him so well. He nodded and sat on a small, ornamental wall his mom used to control the growth of her flowers. Since it was almost winter, the flowers were long gone, leaving the stones bare. She sat next to him, placing her hands between her knees.

"What happened in there?" she asked. "Why did Ron and Bill storm out like that with your grandmother?"

"Let's just say Dad decided to leave some backhanded apologies to people instead of stuff and it got a little out of hand."

"Oh." She looked at her feet and nibbled on her lower lip. 

She didn't have to say anything, he knew what she was thinking and he was reminded of the Angie he'd first met, the poor desperate one.