33.1|| Too Much Love Will Kill You

Sam wasn't sure where the hours of the train ride went, but he was grateful to still be alive. He'd dozed off. Actually dozed off and left both him and Skye unprotected.

Then there was the matter of this thing that had happened which, in his groggy and dizzy state, he couldn't figure out if it had been real or a really awesome dream.

Because in his dream/potential reality, Skye had kissed him. He hadn't fallen asleep after crashing on the cot, just decided to rest his eyes for a while and mentally prepare for his shift and not sleeping for another few hours. He'd heard her fidgeting, but was too exhausted to provide any helpful input.

And then... There she was, her lips on his, not once but twice until he decided he wanted more of that and kissed her back. And as his dream went, they'd gone on like this for what felt like hours, not speaking, not doing anything else but kissing, until with a tired smile, she'd pulled away and fallen asleep in his arms.

And that was the part where he'd possibly dozed off or something because holy hell the entire night felt like one giant mess inside his head.

Sam had no idea how to feel. Because if all the kissing happened, hell yeah, best night ever. If not... It was fighting to be the disappointment of the year in a year which had Chrsitine and Harry sleeping together behind his back.

He needed to sort out his priorities.

The feeble light of dawn filled the train as Sam leaned his back against the wall two doors down from his and checked his notifications. He'd sent the damning evidence he'd collected from the party to Herrison, but had left out the part about the police. Except a confirmation that the assignment was complete, he hadn't gotten anything from the Agency. So now he was more preoccupied with news outlets. So far, everything was quiet, which got him feeling even more nervous.

He heard a disturbance from a few doors away and pushed himself off the wall just as Skye's distraught face popped into the hallway. She spotted him, let out a loud groan, and disappeared back inside.

Well, that was one way of reacting to seeing him again. The chances of the kissing actually happening were dropping with the speed of light. He walked to their compartment and let himself inside only to find it empty.

"Skye?" He turned the corner into the tiny washing area and found her leaning her hands on the sides of the sink. Her elbows were shaking. "Are you okay? Did something happen?"

"I just thought something had happened to you," she muttered, "but you're obviously fine. Where were you?" The words came out a little jumbled.

"Keeping guard outside. Just wanted to let you sleep."

"How long have I slept?"

"About four hours I think."

"For hours?" With every word, her voice was becoming more panicky. "It doesn't feel like I've slept half an hour!"

"You're exhausted. It's going to take a lot more sleep to make up for what you've been through."

"We've been through! It was both of us."

He walked to her and wanted to take her in his arms to calm her down, assure her that they'd be okay, but the space didn't allow him. His own lack of sleep made his movements sloppy so he found himself leaning against the counter to stay on his feet. Skye glanced at him, her eyes wide, trapped between his arms.

Heat pooled in Sam's chest as he looked down at her, his gaze lingering on her lips a little more than was proper. But he knew their shape, their taste and he wanted more of it.

"Did we...?" he asked, which was a stupid question because no matter the answer, it was still awkward for her. For him, for either making it up or not remembering.