36.1|| Deeply Ingrained

Even if it had been three years since he'd last done it, for Sam, it felt like yesterday. Back on the road, research to do, maps to check, and itineraries to plan were still second nature. The novelty was having Skye by his side and her actually being interested in what he was doing.

A sense of community was building with the others as well, a team long scattered feeling like one sole body once again. And as much as Sam had been absorbed by his own troubles lately, he now had to admit that he'd missed having Jessie around a lot. Being together like this made sense, so he missed Jerry and Jimmy even more.

But he'd take what he could get, so once they reached Egypt, he was more than ready to get started on their adventure. While waiting for the luggage next to the conveyor belt, he studied the map of the surroundings of Cairo.

According to Herrison, their destination of choice was not along the Nile like most ancient burial grounds, but deep in the desert, right off Wadi El Rayan. Of course, the Agency no longer had the map, but Herrison remembered the general direction. So, armed with twenty-five year old mouth-to-mouth knowledge, they were set.

"This is so weird," Skye whispered, and Sam finally took his nose out of the map.

"What is?" he asked as he followed her gaze to the others.

Tom and Angie were standing side by side, conversing in hushed tones while Kyle, Kay and Jessie waited together. Well, mostly together since Kyle and Kay were a good distance from each other and Jessie was hovering nervously between them.

"I'm somewhat used to doing this with you," Skye said. "But not to be a part of a larger team."

"You'll get used to it. They're all really nice once you get to know them." The thought that he had to introduce anyone into the team at this point was a little laughable, but he was sure Skye would fit right in.

"Should I get an update on what's going on?" she asked, her eyes on Kay who was sipping water and glaring around as if looking for someone to kill.

"I don't have one. Tom and Angie are still presumably broken up, Kyle and Kay still together and Jessie... I have no idea what's up with her and everyone else. I just know I missed her and I'm glad she's back."

"Okay." Skye stepped closer to him, until their shoulders almost brushed together.

She looked a little nervous and his chest ached with the need to protect her, see her smile again. He couldn't be grateful enough that she'd decided to come along. To forgive him for his stupid mishap with Christine and still... Well, like him? He had no idea how she felt about him. He also had only a vague idea how he felt about her. At this moment, all he was certain of was that he wanted her around. For as long as possible.

"Why's that damn luggage taking so long?" Kay mumbled loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Hold your horses," Angie said. "It will get here."

"Kay's really pissed," Skye observed, but Sam noticed the slight tremor in her words.

Without thinking, he leaned over and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. "We'll be fine."

She smiled at him, her shoulders relaxing visibly. He wanted to kiss her again, but was abruptly stopped by his phone vibrating. Wondering if Herrison remembered more details, Sam pulled it out and glanced at the screen. Christine.

"Um..." Skye had obviously seen it, too. "Do you want to answer?"

"I don't know," he answered stupidly, glancing at it.

A part of him did, because he'd left it off miserably with her and he needed to fix that in order to move on. The other part of him had sworn he would never hurt Skye again. But maybe there was a way to appease them both.