38.1|| Desert Walkers

Tom tapped his fingers on the wooden bar, his gaze flitting towards the door every other second. It had been so long since he'd felt this mixture between excitement, annoyance and fear.

They were leaving, going in search of a temple only entered once before and undiscovered by the masses.

They were running late. Where the hell was Sam?

"They're still not back?" Angie sat on the stool next to him.

His heart started beating a little bit faster. Ever since they'd ended up slow dancing last night, everything had become even more confusing. His conversation with Kyle hadn't helped either. Tom had held off on making a decision, knowing that the night and the music and how beautiful she looked messed with his head.

It was now morning, and there was no improvement. He still wanted to pull her in his lap and hug her, hold her there until his arms fell off.

"You know where they are? And who they are?" His voice came out husky and he had to fight not to cringe.

"Sam and Skye. They went to the Egyptology Museum."

Ah, yes, of course. Sam's dream and Skye was of course enabling him because that was how love worked.

"Don't get impatient. They only left because Kyle is probably hung over and Kay's detox might need a few more hours, too."

"I can't believe it's toxic water again," he mumbled. It sort of stung, being hit with the same thing twice.

"I can't believe we don't know what's wrong with it and who did it."

"You refuse to think it's the Agency?" he asked.

Angie winced, but it was very subtle. If he didn't know her as well as he did, he probably would've missed it. But he did know her, and it made his stomach twist again, because he couldn't fathom getting to know someone else as well.

"I believe there are a lot more factors at play," she said, her voice wary.

He leaned towards her. "Like what? Do you know something? It's not the first time you hint that there might be something else out there."

"You know me so well, it's scary," she said, but didn't elaborate.

"Angie?"

"I'm not..." She faltered. "It could be nothing. It could..." She turned towards the entrance and let out a sigh of relief.

Jessie came towards them, a big grin on her face. So apparently he was the only impatient one.

"Good news?" Angie asked, and Tom had the feeling she was glad she no longer had to talk to him.

"Only the best. Kay is doing much better. If she manages to hold down breakfast, she's good to go."

Well, that was good news. "Any clue about the water?"

Jessie shook her head. "I'll need a lab for that. I can hardly run any tests here. And Jerry would be appreciated. This is more his field."

"Fair enough." Tom's attention was drawn to the door once again as Kyle and Kay appeared and headed for one of the breakfast tables.

Together. Kyle's hand on the small of her back. Kay sat at one of the small round tables and Kyle immediately headed out to get food for both of them. He placed two plates filled with fruit and croissants in front of her, then sat next to her. She leaned her head against his shoulder.

"I can't believe it," Angie said, her voice low and breathy, as if she were afraid talking too loudly would dispel the magic.

"Trust me, I found it even harder to believe," Jessie said, watching them fondly.